Thread: French ANIX Cutlass

French ANIX Cutlass

I have looked for one of these badboys a long time. M1801 French cutlass, I think more correctly ANIX not way up on these but have had a few of the Solingen made Itallian m1834 models, and one French m1833. Bought the replica some time ago as these are a tad hard to find. Really the granddaddy of them all the later french model, the Itallian and even the US m1840 cutlass. I have read the anchor can date year. Is that correct? This one is exactly like the replica. Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Hi Eric,

Good find and as you say rare.
    I think it may be the 1811 model. Blade length should be 67.6 cm and width at the ricasso 3.65. The anchor vertical on the blade. The month and year of manufacture on the back of the blade were mandatory from 1810. This model lasts until 1833.

The 1801 is even rarer - Petard records the blade length of the 1801 (AN IX) as 65 cm and width of 5.1 cm at the ricasso. A small anchor - the naval acceptance mark - is stamped on the ricasso. The larger anchor on the blade is only rarely seen and may be oblique. Outside of a museum I have never seen one of these cutlasses.

There was also a model 1802 (AN X) which had a longer and narrower blade than the AN IX, 75 cm and 3.9 cm at the ricasso. Gilkerson reasonably classes the 1801 as having two versions, broad blade and a slimmer blade, and states that a rounded anchor was included from 1803. This anchor was oblique to the blade.
    It's possible yours is this version and the length may tell you.

Hope that helps.

Regards, David.
    Last edited by David. L; 06-25-2017 at 04:26 AM.

French ANIX Cutlass

David great info thanks, the blade is 26 1/4 or 66.67 cm. It is 1 9/16 or 3.968 at the ricasso. Sorry the spine and blade anchor mark are somewhat pitted. It is very hard to even see detail with extra lighting. I do not have a lot of French swords but find myself fascinated with French cutlasses and the ANIX calvary saber. Except for the thinner material and shorter debth of cup it is very similar to the repro. The anchor blade and grip are the same. The repro blade is .3175 longer. Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Quote Originally Posted by David. L View Post
    Hi Eric,

There was also a model 1802 (AN X) which had a longer and narrower blade than the AN IX, 75 cm and 3.9 cm at the ricasso. Gilkerson reasonably classes the 1801 as having two versions, broad blade and a slimmer blade, and states that a rounded anchor was included from 1803. This anchor was oblique to the blade.

Regards, David.
    Hi Eric, David,

I posted pictures of my An X cutlass some years ago. They should still be visible

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...t=#post1043740

It has the remains of a small, oblique anchor on the blade, rather than the large anchor running parallel to the blade seen on later versions.

Alan

Thanks for adding that link Alan. That's a great example of the AN X with all the correct markings.

Eric, the dimensions would seem to indicate yours is an AN X as well - with the blade shortened. The book says the anchor should be smaller and rounded and oblique - but the books are not always correct! Any chance of some gentle brushing to reveal the poincons or the anchor stamp. These were relatively deep stamps compared to the writing on the back of the blade or the engraved anchor.
    I love cutlasses!
    Regards, David.

David I can find no anchor stamp nor poinçons so I would assume it is suspect. I will work on it again tomorrow but see nothing at this time. Eric