Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proof Mark

Thanks Will, all makes sense now. It was for sale on Ebay for over £630 and they were prepared to sell for £550 so definitely not a bargain for a fake! I did hear a lot of the swords were made in Pakistan now and many of Wilkinson's tooling went there too i think. Luckily i got mine authenticated a few years ago by Robert, from pictures and also the serial number on the blade (made 1953).

Here it is here too https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Elizabeth-II...wAAOSwqCRcrlKO
    I think the listing should have answered your questions completely

Windlass is made in Pakistan. Several makers claim to have Wilkinson tooling but youtube videos show them making them without it.
    Last edited by Will Mathieson; 06-03-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks Will, the one on freeads is the same as my friend saw on eBay..!!! Definitely a con, plus the other one that he says is selling as a wilkinson you can see the plastic join on the grip!

Plastic join in the grip is a give away that the sword is a copy and not a modern MOD sword. Many years ago at the beginning of my collecting career I was fooled into purchasing a naval sword copy. The dealer claimed an old naval hat came with the sword. Lighting was poor and the sword looked good. Once I got it outside in the sunlight things changed and I promptly went back inside and demanded a full refund. Of course he stuck to his story that the sword was authentic. Always beware and let the details of the sword talk to you.

To finalize the sword pictured is a modern rendition of a MOD sword. These do command higher prices and can be used by serving officers. The etching is good and overall finish is shiny with gold plating. There is nothing wrong with the sword, it's just not something collectors of old swords would be interested in.
    I don't know about the other one with plastic grip you mention. The sword first pictured has a ray skin grip, you can see where it was ground down slightly to fit within the pommel which is typical. The sword is not a "con" but possibly listed in two sales venues which is common today though I do not know Ebays or other venues policies regarding multiple listings.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Windlass is made in Pakistan. Several makers claim to have Wilkinson tooling but youtube videos show them making them without it.
    Windlass Steelcrafts owns and controls more than one source, most in India.

Gary I now see the plastic gripped sword, a replica only with spurious Wilkinson marking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12