Thread: My latest in, but could use some help on the Belgian one.

My latest in, but could use some help on the Belgian one.

Hello all,

here is what I got in today.
    Straight outta the woodwork!

When I saw them first I thought both being German, until I opened him at home.
    It is all about the curved one.
    It is nicely etched, even on the side of the blade. And marked A Rongé Liége.
    But I can't find what it exactly is, so help is always appreciated.

Beautiful sword. The scabbard drag looks German to me so a guess as a German officers LC sword. The troopers Blucher 1811p this sword may have followed.

Kristiaan: The top one is the "Unified Pattern" Called Kavallrie Degen Mod. 1889. The quartered shield on the eagle indicates use by Prussia, and three other German States, Hesse, Baden, and Braunschweig, Bavaria, Wuerttemburg, Saxony and Mecklenburg had their own versions.

Dale

Thank you for your comments so far.
    The curved one was id on a other forum as; "could be" light cavalry M1813 n°1 for officers.
    A other forum said Dutch and around 1820.

Yes, the curved one is officer model M.1813 ( As known for the Dutch) used between 1813 and 1850) this one seems to have a later model concerning the etching. The period 1825 - 1840 covers also the Tiendaagse Veldtocht ( Ten Days campaign against Belgium for keeping the Belgium into the Dutch Kingdom) Unfortaintly the surrounding countries decided not to keep Holland as one country but supported the Belgium resistance. A French Army under Gerard came the Belgium to help. After going back to own border the Dutch kept their army for almost 10 years in this border...this sword is i quess from the period 1830-1839...( Belgium side, i quess since Liege was now Belgium ground)..J.P Puype did modelled this sabre in his book as being M.1813..(thi is a officer variant)

Antoine Rongé, Fourbisseur d'armes à Liège. Lived 1764-1813 according to one source. Active 1785-1845 in another source. The first dates may be the lifetime, the second the active period of the company (there were other Rongé freres and fils). Certainly active in the 1790's, I have a nice 1792 model French chasseur sabre marked Antoine Rongé, Fourbisseur d'armes à Liège on the spine.

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Cottrell; 01-27-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Many thanks for the info, to Jerry and Marc as well!