Thread: More French than French?

More French than French?

Guys; I just got this Prussian Mod 1854 Bordsabel. I was noting that the design is more French that German, which is somewhat strange.

The Prussian is dated (18)61 and bears the mark for FW. The French is Mfre. Royale de Chattelerault, no date, but has to be from the era of Louis Phillipe....

The Prussian Navy was folded into the North German Federal Navy in 1867, so genuine Prussian naval items are exceedingly rare. This is the first Prussian Bordsabel I have ever seen or owned!!

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Lightbulb More pix...

More pix Gentlemen..."KM/1314" on the guard and the maker of this rare rat, P.D. Luenenschloss-Solingen.

I am thinking that the KM mark is from 1872 when the Kaiserliche Kriegmarine took over the Nord Deutschebund Marine, who had absorbed the Prussian Navy in 1867..

Dale

definitely French influenced

Bufford: The German Language site says, it is based on a Netherlands and Swedish design, based on earlier French models..

Dale

Lol right

The Swedish m/1851 naval cutlass employed the Hafström blade, which is very nearly identical to the blade on Dale's cutlass. The hilt is another issue altogether, but I would guess that its genes certainly have some French in them.

That's a very nice piece, Dale. What are the dimensions of the blade? It looks to me as if it might be a physical match for the m/1848 Swedish faskinkniv.
    Last edited by Mark Cain; 04-13-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cain View Post
    The Swedish m/1851 naval cutlass employed the Hafström blade, which is very nearly identical to the blade on Dale's cutlass. The hilt is another issue altogether, but I would guess that its genes certainly have some French in them.

That's a very nice piece, Dale. What are the dimensions of the blade? It looks to me as if it might be a physical match for the m/1848 Swedish faskinkniv.
    Height of blade at root: 450 mm. or 1 7/8 inches Length of blade is 585 mm. or 23 inches. Does this match the Swedish weapon?

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by edwardauskis View Post
    Ed: That one is not French, either Prussian or Swedish, or even Nederlands. I posted the French version from the same era, and I think the French went full utilitarian, solid grip and all that, along with a lighter blade a lot easier to handle--to me anyhow..I suppose a message to the seller is in order??

Dale

I didn't think that ebay one was French either . Inspired by . Im no expert by any means . However I would be actually surprised if she was French (ebay cutlass)

Not French at all.

Dale

Great find Dale, and you are right there are not many of these around.

The French 1801 was so well designed it led to a lot of copies. The changes to the 1811 and 1833(top) versions were minimal.
    The Dutch (2nd down) version was almost identical although of course the 'Kingdom of Holland' was for a few years part of the French Empire.
    The straight bladed cutlass was made by Solingen manufacturers and used by Piedmont-Sardinia and also I believe the Prussian navy.
    The 4th, like your own, was as you say also Prussian.
    Importantly these last two retained the balance and speed of their French grandfather, even if they were not so pleasing to the eye.
    This cannot be said of the Swedish (bottom) cutlass which feels unbalanced and clunky.

I probably should also have included the US 1862 Cutlass - sixty years later and the French 1801 was still a clear influence in its design.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Martin View Post
    Height of blade at root: 450 mm. or 1 7/8 inches Length of blade is 585 mm. or 23 inches. Does this match the Swedish weapon?
    The Faskinkniv's blade is 2 1/8"/5.3 cm at the ricasso and 17.25"/43.8 cm long.