Thread: Dagger ID?

Blog Entries

Dagger ID?

Hi All,

Came upon this yesterday. Excellent quality throughout. Any thoughts on region of origin?Name:  BB8F9850-02E6-4BE8-92F4-9847B8423A06.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  102.5 KB
    Name:  E47E471C-DD76-454B-96DF-9697D39330CA.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  101.2 KB
    Name:  564B3CB2-C283-4859-B6CF-E7CDE5F6A703.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  100.0 KB
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

Has something of a Mediterranean look.

Slight variation on the norm, but it seems to be a Brazilian Faca-De-Ponta.

Edit: which is a traditional knife used by Gauchos but more infamously used by outlaws.
    Somewhat uninspired name, it translates as 'pointed knife'.
    There are variations in style. I 'think' the centrally placed handle is 'Faca De Ponta Espana'
    But I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 05-29-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mel & Gene...

Interesting (and substantive) points. Mel, the catalog you referenced in your PM was compelling. Following up. Gene, along your line as regards the Brazilian origin - I’ve encountered a few of these Brazilian FDP’s over the years, and while I’d agree there are interesting similarities, there are also significant differences. Wish it had the scabbard... that would have been a big help.
    mark@swordforum.com

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

While I have no insight into this dagger it is most interesting and seems to my untrained eye to be the product of multible influence. That ricasso is awesome, the grip and pommel non too shabby. I look forward to its origin. The pommel perhaps of Moorish influence? Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Hi Mark

I'm pretty convinced that it's a Brazillian gaucho knife.
    Having a look back at some research I did on these (I have a couple and one is a very large 'bandit' style one), it's difficult to find contemporary pictures that show the knives while being suitable for inclusion here due to their graphic nature.
    If you search 'lampaio' and click images you'll see lots of pictures of his 'merry band' wearing the things, but the clearest are the photos of them after the authorities caught up with them and displayed their heads with their equipment.
    So some caution is advised: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lampi%C3%A3o

Often they are seen with laterally banded hilts. It's said that this type of distinctive banding on the hilts of some of these daggers was inspired by the giant brazilian millipedes known as 'embuá' (lice snake).
    Sometimes the types are sub-categorised within the umbrella of 'Faca de Ponta', with some being Faca....... and others Punal......

One of mine is about 2' long. Quite a knife!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 05-30-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    thanks Gene! That’s pretty conclusive!
    mark@swordforum.com

Benjamin Franklin

Most excellent Gene and very interesting.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe