Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edward VII P1897 sword - real or not?

What I meant is that the first letter has a single horizontal bar between the I and C which together form a H (I-C), while the second letter has a double middle bar between the I and C (I=C). I don't mean real I and C, but the equivalent handwritten signs. That is why many people in this thread assumed HK or even HSC to be more plausible than HH, but still, I have failed to find any other match until now.

If the first H was actually two letters I would say TC however H is most likely. If you look at the second H the verticals match very closely to the first H, very doubtful there is a C or I etc.
    Last edited by Will Mathieson; 04-22-2020 at 09:21 AM.

I think the 2nd letter is S=C.

There is a swordforum thread which discusses another sword with joined letters etched on the blade. I've been trying to find it for comparison but I can't remember what the name or letters were. Something like St Claire or St. Charles or the like.

Does anyone recall the thread or have an etched example of S=C for comparison?

It would be unusual to have only two letters linked (SC) and not the others. That and what looks possibly like an S smaller in height than the other initials.
    Good point to compare to other initials though different etchers use their own particular font style.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    It would be unusual to have only two letters linked (SC) and not the others. That and what looks possibly like an S smaller in height than the other initials.
    I'm thinking the 2 letters might be linked to represent St. Clair. I'm feel like I've seen an example of this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    If the first H was actually two letters I would say TC however H is most likely. If you look at the second H the verticals match very closely to the first H, very doubtful there is a C or I etc.
    I agree with Will, I think HHPM is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor S View Post
    Taking advantage in the long wait at home, I have resumed the search and found in 1906 a Herbert Henry Powys Morton, second lieutenant Durham Light Infantry (at page 333). What do you think, would this be possible?

He appears as resignation in 1907: Morton, H. H. P., Durham L. I., 3 March 06. - resignation.

It seems he became later a medic and it was granted the rank of lieutenant in 1914: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../6498/data.pdf

I have also found another mention about him: 813 M ii. Herbert Henry Powys MORTON [111370] was born on 26 Jun 1884 in Salisbury Wiltshire England and died on 31 Dec 1956 in Reigate Surrey England at age 72.

The only weak issue to my theory is that if the initials are HH then why they are drawn in different ways?

There's also a M.H.K. Patey in 1907, but the letters are not in the right order.
    FWIW, seeing the photo as I was scrolling down, I saw HHPM also....not another letter combo. You may have found your man!
    Being that he didn't have a long career, it makes sense for the sword to look so good.

I've noticed this article today on facebook:

https://www.thierrytheswordguy.com/p...ober-29th-1914

The styling of that H made all my doubts go away. I found him for sure - Herbert Henry Powys Morton

Congratulations!

So that means 103631 matches a commission date of June 1904. Should help for future Pillin research.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12