Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A special order Wilkinson, for a Prince of Egypt

P.S. Am intrigued by the swords in the photos, particularly their length. What are they? Am adding what I hope is a larger image:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  101.2 KB

That's as large as I can get from my own copy of With Hicks Pasha in the Soudan (1884). What a waste of space!
    Last edited by L. Braden; 07-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.

The swords that I can see clearly here are all British 1845 pattern infantry officers' swords.
    As far as I can see from Egyptian and Ottoman service photos, British and other foreign seconded officers continued using whatever swords they wanted to, which normally meant their previous service swords. You can see Italian officers in Egyptian & Ottoman service with Italian swords for example.
    Cheers!
    Matt

Thanks indeed for your reply!
    I enlarged the images, but for some reason the uploader reduced them.

Reviving this thread!

Here is a photo of Churchill (note the funky spelling of his name!). Now, I'm not a medal guy, but those look like a lot of medals to me.

Name:  churchill-2.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  48.6 KB

That seems to be the same man sitting to the left shoulder of Colonel Bor here, from the Crete crisis, though he's given a different name here (in error?):Name:  inkedgendarm-offices-including-bor-copy_li.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  105.7 KB

If we run with the assumption that this is Churchill's sword, he did seem to start service in Egypt in 1882 and that's the year that this sword seems to have been purchased on behalf of the Prince. Perhaps these swords were simply being given in the Prince's name to new officials joining the service.

Looking to the photo above, that does indeed look like it could be this sword. I wish I could find a higher resolution copy of the image, or the original photo it was drawn from. That image is from The Graphic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123