Thread: Rifle Regiment Volunteers Swords

Rifle Regiment Volunteers Swords

I got 1827 Rifle Regiment Officer's sword. There initials CSRV (at least that is what I deciphered) on the balde. See photo below. I spend good few hours searching for matching officer's name in Hart's Lists with no success. As far as I know in 1859 Rifle Volunteer Corps were created. So I thought that maybe that is sword of volunteer officer. Would volunteer carry 1827 patter? Also is there any volunteer officer lists similar to Hart's?

Second option is that this are initials of regiment. I.e. C.... S..... Rifle Volunteers. However I can't find matching regiment either. Or maybe I incorrectly deciphered the initials?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I think your second option is the correct choice. The initials, located under the crown in the space normally occupied by the royal cypher or sometimes regimental etching, would most likely be regimental initials. Your interpretation seems correct, although the second letter could also be an L.

Hmm... City of London Rifle Volunteers?

That's a possibility. The hard part is finding some sort of contemporary supporting evidence. My initial thoughts were City of L? or S? Rifle Volunteers. If you can find some sort of regimental iconography, or another sword for the City of London Rifle Volunteers that uses those initials, then the attribution will have more weight. There were hundreds of Rifle Volunteer units and their titles seemed to change frequently so the search will seem like a needle in a haystack.

Beginning in 1859, as noted, the 1st/2nd/3rd, etc. "City of London Rifle Volunteers" (official name) were formed as part of the "London Rifle Volunteer Brigade" (official name).

Hello kind forum members.

Maybe this might help? I have found at times looking at regimental badges can help to demystify a particular regiment cypher.
    The website I found this picture on mentioned it is a Civil Service Rifle Volunteer officer's pouch belt plate.

Hope this helps.

Take care and all the best to everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kind Regards,
    Derek McLane

Guys, Thank you for your help.

Derek, Badge you found is almost perfect match. Thank you.

I agree. Definitely an "S", not an "L", on the blade. Thanks indeed, Derek!

No problem at all. Very glad to be of help.
    All the best to everyone.
    Kind Regards,
    Derek McLane

...a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by MikeShowers View Post
    That's a possibility. The hard part is finding some sort of contemporary supporting evidence. My initial thoughts were City of L? or S? Rifle Volunteers. If you can find some sort of regimental iconography, or another sword for the City of London Rifle Volunteers that uses those initials, then the attribution will have more weight. There were hundreds of Rifle Volunteer units and their titles seemed to change frequently so the search will seem like a needle in a haystack.
    Just my penny's worth but there was the 1st Surrey Volunteer Rifles. This was a volunteer corps taken from Peckham and Clapham principally...could help?
    Last edited by Kevin Barnaville; 02-20-2019 at 09:07 AM.