Thread: One for the Resident Seitengewehr expert

Question One for the Resident Seitengewehr expert

Guys: I might have posted this a long time ago, but I have still not found out what it is. The German language boards were also at a loss to explain this weapon.

Trade mark is "WK&C, so it has to be after 1883 and before 1918, as it has the Knight and King heads. They merged in 1883, and dropped the kings head after 1918.

The hilt is the later model Faschinenmesser hilt, after 1860, and the blade and scabbard are, without doubt, the Mod 1871. I am still wondering why the use of the rifle bayonet blade and scabbard..

BTW: Came from the estate of an old Hollywood Prop man, Stewart's in AZ got most of the edged weapons from this sale and I got it from Stewarts...It had been sitting for years in AZ, when Larry got it, along with many other items..

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 11-17-2018 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Add BS

Hi Dale,

I agree the scabbard is the S.71 with the long frog stud. The frog is Bavarian with the pointed pocket bottom. The blade is more or less the S.71 but these issue pieces typically have run out fullers instead of the stopped fuller at the ricasso as on this Seitengewehr. I presume it has no inspection markings or date on the blade or brass bits? If this is the case, this is a private purchase Extra-Seitengewehr, and has no attachments for the rifle, then the hilt is what is out of kilter to the norm of this blade, scabbard, and frog I would say.

The bayonet does not look like a props department "Frankenstein" made from parts from what I can see. Does the pommel top have a smooth transition or is there a dip in the pommel top like on the earlier M/60, M/65, or M/69? My first thought would be that it is a WK&C made Extra-Waffen made from available parts.

George
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Lightbulb More pix...

George: Here is a shot of the hilt and riveting. I suspect it was cheaper to use the simple hilt rather than the full bayonet hilt, and keep the cost down. When this one was made, the SG 71 was obsolete, so there is a chance that WK&C used up existing parts to make this...

I did not think it was a Frankenprop, but the blade was so well made and with stopped fullers, I could not understand why they did that...

No markings other than the WK&C logo, no acceptance stamps anywhere..

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Right, I see the earlier style pommel with the dip in the pommel from the peened tang. An Extra-Waffen made from existing parts by WK&C I think. A nice looking variation. I rather like these odd-ball constructions that one finds in these private purchase walking out dress sidearms.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson