Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Sword Acquisition of 2018

My best sword acquisition is this Thomas Gill beak pommel 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

More nice swords!

It looks like everyone had a good year in 2018.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

US m1905 SA Experimental No. 111

Favorite or not its smoking hot. US m1905 S.A. Experimental Saber No. 111. Scabed scabbard added recently would be my guess.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Eric great find. The similarities with British swords of the period suggests sword enthusiasts in Britain and the US were in regular contact.
    Who exactly they were and what they said is if interest.

Will it is evident Patton looked arround your neck of the woods while designing the m1913 Patton sword and indeed must have been influenced by the 1908 pattern. I fear I am not knowledgeable on these later sabers and swords to have info on the m1905 but we had been coping British and French swords for over a hundred years by then. I have no doubt of British and or French influence on the m1905. Nathan Starr actually started designing swords with the reverse taper to the grip by 1826 but was rooted out in politics by Nathan Ames. I would dearly love any comment or information on coping or collaboration on m1905 and or any later US sword. I to think it interesting. I would also love to hear a modern swordsmans assessment of m1833 Ames pipe back, m1905 Experimental and the m1913 Patton. The m1833 Ames in my humble non swordsman opinion is total junk compared to the 1822 pattern pipeback. The Patton saber is awesome. The m1905 Experimental light and fast but not very hearty. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Eric, congrats on the M1905 SA. I have some Ames examples, but have never owned one or the rare SA swords. Is this one of the serial numbers already known to have survived in collectors' hands, or is it a new number coming out of the wood work? I'll have to check a couple of references.

I've had a few nice finds this year but I think this is the one that make me most happy, not a sword but I'm sure that I'll be forgiven for including it. It has a 12 inch blade, the mounts are silver, showing hallmarks from 1897 together with retailers name Scott Adie, Regent Street, London.
    Last edited by Mel H; 12-22-2018 at 04:14 AM.

Definitely forgiven Mel. I'm no expert on these, but it is stunning, fabulous condition and looks to be of the highest quality.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Mel H View Post
    I've had a few nice finds this year but I think this is the one that make me most happy, not a sword but I'm sure that I'll be forgiven for including it. It has a 12 inch blade, the mounts are silver, showing hallmarks from 1897 together with retailers name Scott Adie, Regent Street, London.
    Hi Mel,
    If you ever feel your 'wee knife' is pining for its intended homeland please give me a shout.
    My Regards,
    Norman.

Nice to be forgiven I will add that since I took the photographs I've cleaned the white polish deposits from the strapwork on the mounts and it's looking good.
    The 'wee knife' seems to have settled in here nicely, sixty miles short of the border.

Well, if the wee soul ever gets irrepressibly homesick you have the cure
    My Regards,
    Norman.

Christmas gift from my wife. Soon I will open it.

Vaya con Dios!
    Last edited by Magnus K; 12-22-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Magnus how do you know it's the sword, did you shake the box? (apart from the obvious).

[QUOTE=Magnus K;1233082]Christmas gift from my wife. Soon I will open it.

Well a very nice Christmas present Magnus, a fine wife you have indeed!

I'll be expecting a pack of boxer shorts...

Will and Jerry,

I buy the swords myself and then I ask my wife to wrap them and give them to me for my birthdays and Christmas. This way she doesn’t make much fuss about my hobby. It’s a win-win situation. And she’s very lovely too...

she's a beautiful sword

Awesome Christmas gift, Magnus.

God Jul och Gott Nytt År!

Detsamma, Ivan! I loved your Bohemian pallasch, especially with the scabbard. Might have to get one myself, and the Jiri Protiva book as well. Hopefully I have many birthdays and Christmases ahead of me.

That is super nice Magnus. I am a tad bit jealous, not really, I'm really jealous. Right up my ally, and your woman must be a peach. Eric

Many thanks, Eric. The woman was the best find. Merry Christmas (here in Sweden we start a day early like in Germany)!

This has been a very enjoyable thread, seeing such a variety of swords (and skein dhus, Mel :roll eyes.

Michael - very much like your beak pommel 1796LC - I find these very elegant sabres.

Merry Christmas to all, looking forward to 2019 finds.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cottrell View Post
    This has been a very enjoyable thread, seeing such a variety of swords (and skein dhus, Mel :roll eyes.

Michael - very much like your beak pommel 1796LC - I find these very elegant sabres.

Merry Christmas to all, looking forward to 2019 finds.

Jerry
    I second what Jerry has said. I see some very nice swords that we have acquired this year.

Merry Christmas to all and happy New Year.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus K View Post
    in Sweden we start a day early like in Germany)!
    Ny kids (high school and college students) still demand presents to be delivered on 24th at 16:00, after Kalle Anka

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan B. View Post
    Ny kids (high school and college students) still demand presents to be delivered on 24th at 16:00, after Kalle Anka
    Yes, Tomten and Kalle Anka are serious matters indeed in Sweden. It’s only when you reach middle age that you start cutting corners Regardless, December is a magic month here with traditions (Yule) which predate Christianity. The lack of sunlight this time of year necessitates indoor social activities and light decorations.

This one: Name:  sword grave.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  99.0 KB
    hc3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast