Thread: A question on availability 1796 LCTS scabbards

A question on availability 1796 LCTS scabbards

Iím on the hunt for a 1796 pattern Light Caví Troopers Sabre and I see a few for sale about the place at what seem at first glance to be reasonable prices but with no scabbard - which I assume accounts for the prices. Iíve mostly passed over them and not looked at them closely because Iím after a sabre and scabbard in complete condition, but I am wondering if I should be paying them more attention.

Noting that some swords with scabbards are likely not with their original scabbards anyway and so a mismatch would be no great collecting sin (???), I am wondering whether anyone has seen or is aware of scabbards for sale on their own? My point being would it be foolish to buy a 1796 LCTS sword without a scabbard or with a damaged scabbard in the hope of finding one in good condition to buy seperately?

I am also considering a couple of interesting officers sabres that are available but I think I would prefer to hang out for a troopers variant ...... the jury is still out on that decision for the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice
    Greg

Hi Greg, personally I would always hang on and wait for the right Sword with scabbard to come my way. Scabbard wise, you do see the odd one occasionally online, BUT the chances of it fitting a sword you have are 50/50, and unless you are happy displaying them side by side, I think you’d kick yourself in the long run for not waiting, plus scabbards on their own can sell for a pretty penny these days, so it might cost even more, but once you’ve got the bit between your teeth I know it’s hard to rein back. Happy Hunting and ‘caveat emptor’. Ben.

Hi Greg

Personal view - I would bide my time and wait for the right one to come up, with a scabbard. I don't see separate LC scabbards for sale, maybe they are out there somewhere, but i dont see them. I think there is a reasonable chance that the sword/scabbard pairing is original, but its not critical. Ideally I would like a makers name, but they often don't have them. If you get lucky you might get on with a name on the spine of the sabre and on the scabbard, so you can pair them, but most don't. I also like to see the ordnance inspection mark, crown over a number, on the face of the blade. Otherwise its about condition.

Be careful of 'regimental markings'. Some of these have been added more recently to substantially increase the value.

Regards
    Jerry

Thank you Ben, thank you Jerry, very much appreciated and sounds like very sound advice which I will follow ...... patience and diligence

I’d not been particularly aware of the concern with "regimental markings” though Jerry, thinking I’d be able to spot much of the fakery on the heavy and light cav' swords, thankyou for the warning on that. As you suggest though I have been mostly looking out for swords/sabres with a legitimate makers mark and the ordinance inspection stamp with the idea that finding one with regimental markings would be a bonus so I’d never really considered that they might be faked. I’ve seen one or two with "no visible markings” at all but they haven’t really sparked my interest.

http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...iment-Markings

Well worth a scroll down this thread for some pertinent comments on fake markings. I was caught out once but fortunately was able to return for a refund.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, a very useful and interesting read

It took me 15 years to find a LCTS. Best to buy complete swords.

Whoops! .........I think!.........

and confession time where I expect I may get laughed off the forum, but I only have myself to blame.

After reading all of this wise advice I very recklessly, naively and impulsively dropped a bid on a sabre with a very shabby scabbard and a restored grip on eBay that I kept turning up in various searches.

In my defence I did so with the intention of bidding Australian$800.00, thinking that I’d have little chance but that perhaps any sins might be agreeable (to me) at that price, not that I can afford to throw that sort of money away. However in my reckless haste I did not realise that, despite it appearing on our Australian Ebay, my bid for what I intended as AUD800.00 was accepted as USD800.00, (roughly AUD1200.00).

So, of course, I am the potential fool who has now been the successful bidder.

Of course I would dearly love someone to come back and tell me "all is not lost, you’ve done well old son....." and “all things considered you've got quite good value for your money....", (noting that I fully intend to keep looking for another one that is more complete and in better and more original condition in slow time).

But equally - or more valuably - I would much more welcome the truth of just what level of treasonable and foolish behaviour I have indulged in here. Is this something that I may one day expect to get my money back on if and when I do find a more suitable candidate for my collection? Or have I really been a complete newbie knuckle head?

Here is a link to my “winnings":

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANTIQUE-...p2047675.l2557

Greg, we all have to start somewhere and you can always trade up in the future. Examples by Thomas Craven don’t appear that often, and if you’re pleased with it, that’s all that matters.

Greg
    Don't agonise, you've got yourself an authentic LC troopers, sword itself looks in good nick. You got something to enjoy.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    Greg, we all have to start somewhere and you can always trade up in the future. Examples by Thomas Craven don’t appear that often, and if you’re pleased with it, that’s all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cottrell View Post
    Greg
    Don't agonise, you've got yourself an authentic LC troopers, sword itself looks in good nick. You got something to enjoy.

Jerry
    Thank you for the reassuring words Jerry and Ben, they are very much appreciated.
    cheers
    Greg

You can always rely on Ben & Jerry’s !

Indeed!

Well I confess I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised but in truth I’m slapping myself for being the naive newbie. Buyer beware.

The sabre turned up here today, in remarkable time really. In fairness it is pretty much what was advertised and I guess (I hope) that I’ll only make the same mistake once.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and “restored” is obviously a subjective word, when the description "THE HILT HAS BEEN RESTORED” turns out to actually mean “The grip has been replaced with a carved and stained piece of wood”. Something that I didn’t pick up in the photos but should have and at least should have queried.

The blade, guard structure and backstrap have obviously been heavily worked to remove a lot of rust but at least the makers mark and the two balance marks on the spine (?) and the ordinance inspection stamp are apparent, otherwise I can’t see any other markings of any kind

Having said all of that, the sword isn’t a complete disappointment in itself and it’s otherwise in reasonably good shape, I’m just kicking myself for overbidding and over paying for it. However in the interest of learning I’ll be happy enough to accept my losses on this one and, as Ben said, trade up to the one that I want when i eventually find it...... and I’m in no great hurry.....

.....(but if anyone does know of a nice 1796 Light Cav’ Troopers sabre up for grabs..........)

[IMG]IMG_1818 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]