Thread: Another "what is it" thread!

Another "what is it" thread!

A friend who's aware of my interest in blades has offered me a sword. I have no idea of the country of origin, or probable date, or fair price. The blade looks good though the sword and scabbard have some surface rust and the guard seems to have been bent in. He's just sent me a picture, but I'm asking this community for some knowledgeable input.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Better photo would help but I've got a strong suspicion this is a recently made in China special.

Sorry, it's the only photo I have. I didn't know the Chinese were making knock-offs on antique swords as well.

Some pictures are helpful. Others much like playing blind mans bluff.

RE value, note the pinned notice at the head of this page and realize we don't do evaluations.

Ask your friend for more pictures, If he can take one, he can share more. We need to see the medallion of the guard face clearly, as there should be something there. The metal of the guard looks quite thin and the "blankness" doesn't bode well as a service sword for any nation. The blade looks unfullered, where one might expect a pipe back blade. The general form kind of Prussian/German but in general looks only.

Argentina and some other Latin countries used such as this and might explain it but without a better look, anyone's guess might be valid.

Cheers
    GC

It does actually look like an Argentine 1889/1898 cavalry sword and perhaps de-milled as many Argentine weapons are so.
    Last edited by Glen C.; 01-09-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Some copies do have this hilt pattern. Better photos would clear things up.

The blade form is not German Issue or Argentine, my vote is a Chinese copy or Chinese made for their army a long time ago.

If it was German it would have to be a Saxon Mod 1891 saber, they had a pipe back blade with a symmetrical point, same for the Argentine Modelo 1898.

Dale

Thank you all for your input. He's a difficult man to get ahold of, but I'll try to get some better pics.