Thread: Captured Mle 1822/Ulanen Saebel/Artillerie Saebel & Wuerttemburg Arty!

Captured Mle 1822/Ulanen Saebel/Artillerie Saebel & Wuerttemburg Arty!

Guys: I am going to elucidate on the captured French Mle 1822 Sabers, as converted for the Prussian Ulans after the War of 1870-71. A vast majority of these were converted in the refit of 1891-92 as Artillery Saber of the new pattern. Lower ring was deleted, blade was shortened to 89 CM, but the hilt remained the same as when used by the Ulans.

What makes this interesting is that the Ulans had to procure more of this pattern after the supply of captured Mle 1822 sabers ran low. The Prussians simply used the same Montmorency blade, and the same scabbard! One might think that the Prussian used the sabers made for the US CW, but I think this would be hard to prove. I am sure the Solingen makers had a lot of experience making the Mle 1822, and simply made more for the Ulans, without having to change the hilts as they did with the captured weapons.

To further confuse collectors and self appointed experts, such as myself, Wuerttemburg decided to adopt the Prussian new pattern Artillery Saber for their troops, apparently using the same hilt as the Ulan models. However, they used a blade similar to the Prussian, but with less curvature, in between the Saxon and Prussian curve style. This is the best way to tell them apart quickly, as the earlier Wuerttemburg sabers had the same wood, wrapped in cord and leather grip as the Ulan sabers, and only later they changed to the Bakelite grip, after 1904 or so.

I will post more pix later, this is the first installment of this strange story!

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 01-11-2019 at 07:08 PM.

I will post the blades tomorrow!

Dale

Good stuff!