Thread: Prussian captured French Mle 1822 LC Saber II

Lightbulb Prussian captured French Mle 1822 LC Saber II

Fellows: Here is the first of 4 examples of this model that I possess. This one is apparently made by an Entrepreneur at Klingenthal. I cannot fully read the partially obliterated inscription.

This one is a good example of the conversion that took place after the Germans adopted the Mod 1889/91 Kavallrie Degen. The Prussian Ulans were required to adopt the new weapon, and their much loved captured sabers were given to the usual suspects, Artillery, Supply, Horse Depots, Bakery Columns, etc etc..

In 1891 It was decided to shorten the blades to 89 CM and delete a ring from the scabbards. This was due to the idea of attaching the sabers to the saddles, like the French and British did sometime earlier..

This one only has acceptance marks on the hilt and scabbard, none on the blade that I can find..

Note the manner of shortening and the tip shape...Not the usual Prussian practice. ALSO: Scabbard has a fixed ring, with the usual German loop on the back of the band...

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Guys: A closer look, after cleaning with solvent, it reads: "Manufacture Royale de Klingenthal 8 bre 1838"----at least to me after examination, that is what I think it is..

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Martin View Post
    Guys: A closer look, after cleaning with solvent, it reads: "Manufacture Royale de Klingenthal 8 bre 1838"----at least to me after examination, that is what I think it is..

Dale
    It reads 1828......The s.a.(soie acier)was used from 1828-1832 on both Klingenthal and Chatellerault manufactured swords,after that it was discontinued as part of the inscription.The Klingenthal factory had ceased as a state manufacturer in 1836 and continued under private ownership of the Coulaux family .
    Have a look at the poincons under the washer.
    Last edited by niall dignan; 01-18-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    Niall Dignan

Sorry typo error...Why did they call it "Silk Steel" ? Was it some kind of trade name ??

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 01-18-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Soie Acier translates in this case as Steel Tang.......Read down the following post for a fuller explanation,particularly DanR's later one.....http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...ght=soie+acier
    Niall Dignan