Thread: A search for a 7th Hussars Special Pattern Sword

A search for a 7th Hussars Special Pattern Sword

Hi Everyone,

Having now added two unusual special pattern swords to my collection (Imbert-Terry, 7th Hussars and Harrison, 11th Hussars) both of which use a cast off or pistol grip, I was encouraged to pursue a spot of research into the wider use of this rather revolutionary design. These swords proved to be a little more common than I expected and I felt the information collected might be of general interest, partly because it involves earlier posts on the forum into the 7th Hussars special pattern known to have been carried by Field Marshall Douglas Haig. To this end, I attach a link to the relevant document which hopefully works. If so I would be very grateful (and pleased) to receive comments and criticisms (favourable or otherwise). Further information on any of the swords referred to, and especially Haig's, would be very welcome. Hope it doesn't bore anyone as much as it did my wife!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7woz6642e...earch.pdf?dl=0

John that is a fantastic document covering these swords. I don't just say this because my sword made it into the list. The name Beville still alludes me as does the lack of any royal cypher on the blade.
    Hopefully a few more of these turn up which may give us personal connections between these officers which could explain much.
    Was this group of men a tight group who owned these pattern swords or was it something else?

Excellent - comprehensive and very well researched. Nice job!
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Hi John,

A very interesting read. I look forward to more info surfacing on this topic.

Regards

Thanks to all for the response. No new information emerging yet, but I live in hope.

A good read John, if I haven't said so already