Thread: A nice outcome in the 1796 LCTS quest

A nice outcome in the 1796 LCTS quest

I previously posted about my disappointment with my somewhat impulsive bid on a 1796 Light Cav’ Troopers Sabre on another thread (querying the availability of scabbards) and because I feel the need to tell someone of what I consider to be a good outcome worth sharing, I am very pleased to advise that the seller has very graciously accepted the sabre’s return.

I don’t wish to break any forum rules by discussing particular businesses but I must say that I found this gentleman a delight to deal with, both with arranging postage and exchanging emails and with his willingness to accept the return with no questions. I was feeling culpable for not seeking clarification or picking it up in the photos somehow, but he has accepted the return based on my disappointment that the grip had been replaced, where I had read that it had been restored and so had expected something somewhat different than what had arrived.

I had been fretting about my impulsiveness and was resigned to accepting that I’d done my dough, however I emailed a query to eBay as to whether I should at least ask the question, noting that I’d not asked for clarification or more details prior to bidding and felt somewhat at fault. They submitted the request to the seller and he came back immediately accepting the return.

However to add to that and what seemed too auspicious to ignore, about 20 minutes after receiving the sellers response I received another email from another seller listing new items for sale, amongst which was a 1796 LCTS by Gill (possibly John/James ??) and attributed to the 7th Hussars.

Now as much as I keep telling myself that I’m in no great hurry and the right one will come along when I least expect it, this just seemed too much like that right one coming along when I least expected it.......condition, demonstrable provenance, presentability, intact.......just right really........... so long story short(ish) now I just have to wait for it to arrive in the post.....

a happy Greg

Name:  1061397_-_photo_6_1548265123_img.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  91.7 KBName:  1061397_-_photo_11_1548265127_img.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  99.6 KBName:  1061397_-_photo_2_1548265120_img.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  70.1 KBName:  1061397_-_photo_7_1548265124_img.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  81.0 KBName:  1061397_-_photo_4_1548265122_img.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  84.1 KB
    Last edited by Larks G; 01-26-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Well done Greg super sword, and hard to improve on! Regimentally marked to a line regt on both is a real bonus, and your fleabay outcome tops it off nicely! Congrats. Ben

Congratulations Greg, looks like you have found a really good one!
    Jerry

Is the 7.I.I really a "7H"? The verticals of the H are deep but horizontal is missing. Portuguese also marked their 1796 swords.
    Lets hope it is a 7th H marking. The photo shows an early 1820's 7th H sword and I have seen another 7th H marking on a scabbard which is identical, by the same hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    Well done Greg super sword, and hard to improve on! Regimentally marked to a line regt on both is a real bonus, and your fleabay outcome tops it off nicely! Congrats. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cottrell View Post
    Congratulations Greg, looks like you have found a really good one!
    Jerry
    Thanks Ben and Jerry, I’m feeling pretty pleased with it

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Is the 7.I.I really a "7H"? The verticals of the H are deep but horizontal is missing. Portuguese also marked their 1796 swords.
    Lets hope it is a 7th H marking. The photo shows an early 1820's 7th H sword and I have seen another 7th H marking on a scabbard which is identical, by the same hand.

I initially questioned the same H on the guard Will, wondering if he’d drawn a bit of a long bow for the marketing but I concluded that the spacings were more consistent with it being a 7.H than a 7.1.1 or 7.I.I or anything else. I also wonder from the spacings and layout if a third character has been lost to the right that would have read 7.H.? .

I’ll see if I can get a better view of it when it arrives, the scabbard is less defined but even so looks more like a 7H than the guard.

Name:  1061397_-_photo_5_1548265123_img.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  101.5 KB

I notice the horizontal on the H on yours is somewhat shallower than the vertical strokes so that actually gives me a bit more confidence that the style of engraving at the time could have allowed that element to have been lost with the corrosion (or the cleaning up of the corrosion).

I’ll be interested to get a much closer look when it arrives

cheers
    Greg
    Last edited by Larks G; 01-26-2019 at 04:35 PM.

If you can see the smaller "s" above and right of the "H" it reads 7H's. Possibly your sword has the small s after the H ? The best way I find to be positive is to find other swords marked to the same regiment.

I’ve been able to study my sabre for a (working) week now, it having arrived on Monday, and I am quite comfortable that it is as was advertised by the seller - attributed to the 7th Hussars.

The photos provided by the seller are as clear as any that I could take and there is no sign of a small “s” above the H, however having spent the last couple of weeks scouring as many photos as I could find of 7th Hussars sword markings over varying years and sword types (I confess I could not find many really), mine appears as consistent with other markings as could be reasonably expected - considering there appears to be no consistency.....??

I found more sword and sabre photos attributed to Hussars (of varying regiments) without the “s” than I did with the “s” but I also found a reference that the way of marking them changed, so whether that also meant adding or dropping the “S” I’d be interested to know.

Given the amount of heavy cleaning and rust removal that my own sword has obviously been subjected to prior to selling it’s impossible (with my naked eye and a magnifying glass) to tell of a lightly stamped “s” may have been lost in the cleaning process.

Either way, given the spacings of the characters, the similarity to other 7th Hussars markings that I can find in terms of font, layout and style, I’m comfortable that mine is a 7th Hussars sabre.

Here are just a couple of the photos that I found on the web but I’d be really interested in any others that anyone may have available, particularly of 7th Hussars markings.......(though I confess that I’m looking for further affirmation that mine is legitimate than the alternative of having my bubble somewhat burst...... again )

7th and 8th Hussars stamps (on the same sword, without a visible “S”)

Name:  J82-2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  J82-8th-Hussars.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  73.8 KB

The scabbard appears to have had the “S” either scratched on recently or at least re-“highlighted" from where it had corroded.

Name:  J82-3.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  53.0 KB

and 7th Hussars with the “S"

Name:  oldswords001.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  100.3 KB
    Last edited by Larks G; 02-08-2019 at 04:09 PM.

The last photo you posted is the mate to the 1821p hilt photo I posted, matching including numbers. The other photos are Swordsaleseu I believe.
    Can you post the reference to the change in the 7th H regimental markings?