Thread: Unidentified Naval Sword

Unidentified Naval Sword

Please, help me to identify nationality of this WKC Naval sword. The retail shop G.B & S. George Bartling & Sohne, Naval outfitter in Kiel. The Lion head is not a German pattern, the crown looks like German and I am not sure about the toddel. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Al.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Not one I've seen before, does the guard fold on both sides?

Yes, it does on both sides.

Crown is German second Reich, and the Navy was not divided among different states. Nice Jugendstil decoration.
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.

So, is it German? Nothing at all in "Officer Swords of the German Navy" Thank you. Al.

Actually, I think the lion-head pommel is Imperial German (as is the Imperial crown and fouled anchor). There were many variations among the Imperial German naval swords, and yours is quite unique.

The best reference work for Imperial German naval swords seems to be Officers Swords of the German Navy 1806-1945 by Claus and Kirk Stefanski, which shows a very similar hilt excerpted from an Eickhorn pattern book (see page 85 of the English edition). It's described as "luxurious," so it's probably among the firm's many "deluxe" examples.

The portepee also looks correct, as well, though the main color should be silver (yours looks gold in the photos, but it may be tarnished somewhat or the color influenced by tungsten lighting) with accent threads of black and red, with the bottom of the ball being black, red and white threads.

Thank you very much. Al.