Thread: Fake British infantry P1845

Fake British infantry P1845

I was offered this sword, but I declined it because it doesn't look right to me. Nevertheless, I'd like to double check my opinion with more experienced people on this forum.

What I see wrong in it:
    - the grip looks too thick and ugly
    - the guard is not curved enough, not covering the hand and not following the fist shape
    - the blade etching is very simple, identical on both sides (including the proof disk)
    - the VR cipher doesn't look at all like any variants I have seen until now, and even the crown doesn't look right
    - the blade shape is strange (same width from base to tip); i read that there were some straight 1845 variants but somehow this blade doesn't have the right feeling
    - i have found some references on this forum about fakes using the "PROVED T." (t dot) proof disk, but unfortunately the photos are not available anymore to compare
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  100.2 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  96.6 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  98.6 KBName:  4.jpg
Size:  102.4 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  99.2 KBName:  6.jpg
Size:  101.5 KBName:  7.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  96.0 KBName:  8.jpg
Size:  101.8 KB

Hi Victor,

No, it's a repro from the Indian sub-continent, probably no more than 20 or 30 years old. It's actually not bad if you want a re-enactor sword or just to display, but all of the features you list bear your opinion out. I'd also add that the scabbard rings are a bit thin, and the sword knot looks German!

The etching is similar to some genuine examples - VRI being the mark for Queen Victoria, Empress of India - I guess this is based on a real example which was what the makers of the repro had access to.

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Plus the leather grip rather than shagreen is a dead giveaway.

My god, that etching makes me feel ill.

hmmmmmm.

It looks almost intentionally modern in style?
    I mean like it wasn't meant to fool anyone.
    If it was just a repro, why not at least get it right?
    It does seem to be well made, why go to so much effort to make something that isn't a copy? I quite like it.

John of course is right that it looks like VRI. The crown is very strange. I've just had a look at a genuine VRI hilt and the crown is more like the one below on a standard VR hilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 01-31-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james.elstob View Post
    My god, that etching makes me feel ill.
    LOL! Don't dress it up James, say what you think!

German made Kingdom of Yugoslavia portepee...