Thread: Empire period Toledo sword, 1802

Question Empire period Toledo sword, 1802

Hey all, Im trying to determine if this toledo sword is genuine.

Blade is marked:

Rl. Fa. D. T O Lo. - AL. General Vives ( Juan Miguel de Vives y Feliu ?? Spanish general during the Napoleonic wars. )

Ano 1802

Sword is from a old collection so i would assume it is not a recent copy.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images               

What is genuine?

Spanish dedicatories are unusual before the Napoleonic wars. The use of a munition blade for this aim is even more unusual. Possibly you can find the R of Royal property under the langlets. The style of the acid etching I believe it could be from the 1830s. Then this could be a reward sword from a South American republic, and the identity of "General Vives" different of who you think. Older Toledo blades, even for troopers, being very apreciated by then.
    All speculative.
    Last edited by Javier Ramos; 02-05-2019 at 04:51 AM.
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Ramos View Post
    What is genuine?

Spanish dedicatories are unusual before the Napoleonic wars. The use of a munition blade for this aim is even more unusual. Possibly you can find the R of Royal property under the langlets. The style of the acid etching I believe it could be from the 1830s. Then this could be a reward sword from a South American republic, and the identity of "General Vives" different of who you think. Older Toledo blades, even for troopers, being very apreciated by then.
    All speculative.
    Thank you for your reply. I might be wrong then about the name. Maybe its " Francisco Dionisio Vives " he was a Spanish general as well but also Governor in Cuba.

Image of Francisco Dionisio Vives (Cuba May 2, 1823-May 15, 1832)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AlexVE; 02-05-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Javier, a munitions grade blade repurposed for presentation. That would be typical Spanish Colonial. Nice piece indeed and it is also named so much more so.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe