Thread: Royal transport Corps / Leibgarde Hussaen

Lightbulb Royal transport Corps / Leibgarde Hussaen

Guys: This is one of the hardest to find of all Prussian Sabers, the short lived LGH Saber of 1848. This one is made by S&K, and the scabbard is the same maker. The Blade is crown/FW/49. There are English acceptance marks on the blade and a broad arrow point to point in the groove. This is the first one I have ever seen in person...

The blade and scabbard are identical to the Mod 1848 new pattern Bluchersaber, only the bow is different in configuration... Most of the new pattern 1848 sabers were shortened in 1891 and the short version became the "new new Pattern" if that makes any sense!!

There is a story with this pattern, which the German collectors have verified for me...The Hussars in the first Danish war were unhappy with their Mod 1811 sabers due to lack of protection...etc, usw..

This saber was issue for only 4 years and replaced by the model 1852. The Prussians sold those on hand to the British Army in 1854 for use by the Royal Transport Corps drivers..I do not know if they actually used this model, or when they were sold out of service..

More pix later....

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 02-08-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add pix

Great sword, congrats!
    I saw it offered by Larry&Terry and thought that probably you will buy it.

Ivan: In over 45+ years, I do not recall ever seeing one for sale anywhere. So I had to buy it!!

Dale

Yes, it's quite rare, especially with original scabbard. For my collection, I have found one in France several years ago

Dale, across the pond here it’s referred to as a British Royal Engineer Drivers Sword, as identified by Brian Robson in his revised edition of ‘ Swords of the British Army’, 1996, and a separate article he wrote for the National Army Museum. I’ve only ever seen a handful for sale over here, and luckily have one, mine, like all the others I’ve noted are marked FW 50, S&K, with the Liege 8 mark and the opposing broad arrows, ‘sold out of service’. Sadly there does not seem to be any further evidence of it’s usage in the British Army or for how long ( albeit, those Prussians could make a damn good sword!) sorry the images are inverted for some reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

According to Prussian sources, 800 of these were made.