Thread: Have question on Halberd Touchmark

Have question on Halberd Touchmark

Hey all,

Need some info on a Halberd. It appears to be a swiss one but I can not identify the touchmark on it. Anyone recognize it? I belive the head to be authentic but the pole and the rest is restored, imho.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

A very nice pole arm. The reference I have, "Armourers Marks", shows that the rampant Lion mark was used by quite a few makers, particularly in Spain & Germany, however none are shown with a date & none are identical in every way to the lion image itself. Not many include a date & so that is a very fortunate boon. However I would reconsider it as being Swiss & perhaps look at similar weapons of the period made in Spain & perhaps Germany.
    More thorough references must be available, the one I referred to being nearly 60 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by A Roads View Post
    A very nice pole arm. The reference I have, "Armourers Marks", shows that the rampant Lion mark was used by quite a few makers, particularly in Spain & Germany, however none are shown with a date & none are identical in every way to the lion image itself. Not many include a date & so that is a very fortunate boon. However I would reconsider it as being Swiss & perhaps look at similar weapons of the period made in Spain & perhaps Germany.
    More thorough references must be available, the one I referred to being nearly 60 years old.
    Thank you for the nice words and the info. Yes, you are right. I have done some more looking around and have not been able to show this touchmark on any swiss arms but I have seen, like you, some that are close to it from Germany. I did not look into Spain but I will definatly look into that now, and again I thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe someone from the forum will come up with a more concrete answer in the near future.
    Jeff

I think the piece is at least partially if not completely made at the end of XIXth century (Napoleon III). THAT Landskenett on a weird detached piece is an idealized romantic version. The whole head looks quite art noveau to me and too fragile to be a weapon or to have survived for long.
    Last edited by Javier Ramos; 02-11-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.