Thread: 1796 HCTS - Tragedy back to triumph

1796 HCTS - Tragedy back to triumph

The guard from my 1796 pattern Heavy Cavalry Troopers Sword, damaged in shipment by Canada Post, came back from the Tharwa Valley Forge today and I honestly could not be more happy with the result. You would not think it was the same guard or you’d not believe the damage if I didn’t have the photos to show it.

I did end up removing the guard and the grip to protect what is left of the quite deteriorated leather from further damage and, although it wasn’t an easy remove as the pin refused to budge, ultimately I’m quite pleased that I did as it allowed the forge to gently heat the guard without risk, rather than try and cold bend it.

(I haven’t yet properly refitted the guard and grip to the sword (which will have to wait a couple of weeks until I am back at home in my own workshop) but have just sat them in place for the photos)

I’d say a good result is when you can’t pick where the damage was and I had to refer back to my photos to remember which side it was. This is the result, the repaired side is facing up:

[IMG]IMG_1895 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1897 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1900 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

If you missed the thread showing the damage it’s here: http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...-HCTS-purchase

but to save you the trip here’s how she was before the repair:

Needless to say, I am a much happier chappy!!

Meanwhile I have had the very great good fortune to meet a terrific bunch of guys at the Tharwa Valley Forge (and have signed up for one of their Damascus knife making courses).

Great job Greg, what a relief for you. Just out of interest, are there any makers marks on the tang (as we rarely get to see these beasts apart) ?

Great you found a competent shop for repair. This gives you the opportunity to install the leather washer between the blade shoulder and the guard, otherwise you'll have the gap and possible looseness in the hilt.

Hi Greg

That looks fantastic.
    You must be chuffed to bits!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    Great job Greg, what a relief for you. Just out of interest, are there any makers marks on the tang (as we rarely get to see these beasts apart) ?
    Funny you should ask Ben, I just threw up a thread asking about the markings on the tang before opening this thread - there are these somewhat obscure markings on the tang:

[IMG]IMG_1901 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Great you found a competent shop for repair. This gives you the opportunity to install the leather washer between the blade shoulder and the guard, otherwise you'll have the gap and possible looseness in the hilt.

It does Will and I already have the washer cut for it waiting at home to be fitted - interestingly (to me anyway) a nice chunky piece of leather salvaged from a sea boat davit skid on the Australian navy ship HMAS Perth (appropriately soaked to remove any salt and then oiled).

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Wilkinson View Post
    Hi Greg

That looks fantastic.
    You must be chuffed to bits!
    Thanks Gene, and I am indeed chuffed. Interestingly, they said they restored the patina of age where they’d polished out the gouges using mustard.....???? I didn’t get the chance to pursue that further as we got sidetracked (looking at some stunning replica Australian Commando daggers that they’d been commissioned to build for the war museum here in Canberra), but I wondered later if they really meant mustard or if that was just their nick-name for some other concoction of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks G View Post
    Thanks Gene, and I am indeed chuffed. Interestingly, they said they restored the patina of age where they’d polished out the gouges using mustard.....???? I didn’t get the chance to pursue that further as we got sidetracked (looking at some stunning replica Australian Commando daggers that they’d been commissioned to build for the war museum here in Canberra), but I wondered later if they really meant mustard or if that was just their nick-name for some other concoction of their own.
    Hi Greg

Mustard is lightly corrosive so will stain steel. I would think that they were speaking literally as they have only lightly coloured it.
    The result is good though and they seem to have achieved a good tone to the metal.

Hi Greg,

I am so happy for you! I had been just about to make an offer on this sword (in Fredericton, New Brunswick right?) when I noticed the listing had disappeared after almost a year. I had wondered what had happened to it until I saw your post - and a I was heart broken. Needless to say, I am glad it all worked out for you.

I currently have two swords on their way via Canada Post and I am more then a little nervous...they should be here Wednesday - hopefully in one piece and the appropriate shape

Matt.

Hi Matt, thank you and yes that’s the one - from New Brunswick. My apologies for beating you to it, I think (even more so in hindsight) that it was a very good buy and the seller has been great to deal with. He has been very helpful in pursuing the insurance claim which is now with the Canada Post insurance Ombudsman, neither of us are going to let this go without a fight.

I do hope that your swords arrive in much better shape than mine did and I’ll look forward to hearing of your favourable experience with CP.
    cheers
    Greg

No worries Greg, I do have two already and was trying not to be greedy, but it was a good price. Another sold at a local antique store a month or so later for $800. Again I was to slow and crises of conscience in holding off, saving up my money to put towards the two that are currently in the mail. I trust that was the wiser decision for me.

I am happy to hear the seller is helping out so much. Best of luck, I do look forward to giving you a favourable report!

Cheers,
    Matt

Well...Canada Post came through. The swords arrived today. A day early and in perfect condition...considering their age.

Name:  8A3A433F-C39E-419C-AE26-5A2E01D98DE5.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  99.4 KB

No bent guards.

My my my Matthew double nice, be still my heart. These early 17th types have been on my radar. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

we sold the cafe! This was a little treat to myself from the tips I saved up over the summer..and fall...and winter. I kept seeing pieces like the 1796 patterns I wanted to buy. But I kept procrastinating and things added up. They are on my radar as well... uh oh.

Now I need to get a job...

Very nice Mathew and wonderful to see that they turned up the way they left. Congratulations and well deserved by the sounds or it - I don’t feel so bad about pipping you on the 1796 HCTS now

Haha Greg... a blessing in disguise

Greg
    That looks a really fine job. Very impressed with how they managed to remove the ugly scuff marks and then restore a light patina to the whole hilt.

Silver lining is you now have a relationship with some great restorers for any future work needed - though hopefully not for the same reason as this one!

Jerry

Great artisan!