Thread: Stamp on 1796 HCTS tang - does anyone recognise what this represents?

Stamp on 1796 HCTS tang - does anyone recognise what this represents?

At first glance I thought it may have just been a vice mark or something from a production process but it is undoubtedly been stamped into the tang. It looks somewhat obscure but does anyone recognise it for what it might be or has anyone here seen similar examples elsewhere?

[IMG]IMG_1901 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

It is fairly common vice marks.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Do both sides of the tang have the markings? Possibly tong marks that held the tang while the blade was worked or as Eric says vice marks.
    The marks are somewhat small once you shrink the photo to size.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    It is fairly common vice marks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Do both sides of the tang have the markings? Possibly tong marks that held the tang while the blade was worked or as Eric says vice marks.
    The marks are somewhat small once you shrink the photo to size.
    The marks are only on one side and there’s no indication of any markings on the reverse side, which I think would be expected if they are vice marks, but I’ll take another photo of the reverse when I get home this evening to double check.

I may well be wrong so please forgive me for putting the case against it if I am, but these markings seem too deep and too well defined to me to be made on cold metal and accidentally. The tang would have had to be heated to make them and the vice tightened quite hard onto it and it would have had to be a vice with that marking raised on one side and a flat smooth face on the other. Aside from that I can’t think of any scenario where the tang would be heated that hot and then clamped in a vice hard enough to make those marks, but either way if it was, I’d expect to see something matching them in some way on the reverse side.

Which is what makes me feel they were deliberately stamped - ie I’m picturing a forge heated tang layed onto a flat anvil and stamped.

For what it might be worth, here’s the other side with no sign of any corresponding marks (that I can see) - apologies that it’s not as clear a photo, I didn’t realise until after I’d downloaded it
    Greg

[IMG]IMG_1902 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks G; 02-26-2019 at 07:40 PM.