Thread: 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars sword, retailer/ maker identification

8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars sword, retailer/ maker identification

Nice sword to a fine regiment .I suspect the scabbard was originally browned for active service and some idiot took a power tool to it. Will have to look into how they were originally browned .Having served with the Regiment in the late 1970s ( REME attached) and being a collector of British military swords i was over the moon to acquire a regimental etched sword from the late Victorian Period. Complete with battle honours up to Afghanistan. Need to investigate 2 things to narrow down its age,when was the Afghanistan 79-80 honour officially authorised to be placed on regimental accoutrements and does any one recognise this maker mark? Obviously a pre 1901 sword i am trying to narrow down when it may have been carried? The scabbard was originally chemically browned indicating active service use. The Regiment returned to Bengal after the Afghanistan campaign returning to England in 1889 and sailed to South Africa to serve in the Boer war in Feb 1890 .after which it went on to serve in the first Boer war . So in theory the sword could have been made for or carried in that campaign.Name:  qrih maker.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  96.6 KBName:  qrih proof mark.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  97.4 KBName:  qrih blade.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  32.0 KBName:  qrih badge blade.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  62.0 KBName:  qrih batte honours 1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  69.8 KBName:  qrih battle honours 2.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  79.8 KB
    Last edited by Terry.R; 02-27-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Nice find Terry, as you probably know, this Sword was (in theory at least) made obsolete by the introduction of the universal pattern for all officers, light and heavy cavalry of 1896. The 8th Hussars left England in February 1900 for The Second Boer War, so who knows if the officer managed to retain it for service ( I take it no initials on the blade). My guess is that the proof disc refers to S.J.Pillin as the maker, but am baffled by the other ricasso etching, looks strongly like an ampersand & ? C with a possible small upper o . Also the etching on the ricasso doesn’t seem to flow with the blade etching above, perhaps just the image or my eyesight! Be good to see a bit more and the scabbard too. Ben
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 02-28-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Really nice - the sword must date from after 1881, when the regiment was awarded the AFGHANISTAN 79-80 award. I agree with Ben that the proof disk is Pillin, but the device on the other side is a puzzle!

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Name:  qrih scabbard.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  28.9 KBName:  qrih scabbard shoe.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  46.2 KB

more pictures,

Posted a few more pictures as requested, you can see traces of brown in the shoe and other unbuffed areas i agree with the likelihood that its a Pillin, whilst i am here does any one know a source for scabbard throat screws?