Thread: Generic German Police Sword

Generic German Police Sword

Gents,

I picked up an interesting generic German Police Sword at the Louisville, KY Show of Shows (SOS) last week that I thought I would show. This is a plain P guard nickel hilt sword by WKC with the knight head logo over "WKC" on the ricasso of the blade. The grip is black celluloid over wood with wire wrap as is normally seen in these P guard swords from between the wars. The single edged curved blade has a wide fuller and is nickel plated steel. The scabbard is black leather with a seam on the back and there are two nickel fittings. The top fitting has a single suspension ring and the bottom fitting has a well developed drag with both being secured by staples in the usual manner.

This particular sword is not in the WKC catalogs that I have but it is quite similar to other Polizei swords in their catalog. Period photos also show these in wear by various policemen up until around 1938. As a matter of fact the nickel scabbard fittings have a small part number "10" under the staples and the scabbard is identical to the Wurttemberg Polizei-Wachtmeister-Sabel (their Nr.813). The same part number "10" are on both WKC swords in my collection. The blade appears to be the same as well but the hilt is entirely different with the Wurttemberg sword having a D guard. This scabbard appears to be the same as the Thuringer Polizei-Sabel as well but with a different blade and hilt.

So, the new sword that I have seems to be a generic Polizei Sword made by WKC for wear up until these departmental police swords were all replaced circa 1938 by the nationalized Polizei Degen. Does anyone by chance have a WKC catalog that shows this particular sword by name or number?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

George: The same model is listed as "Fusilieren Schleppssäbel" in the 1902 WK&C Musterbuch. However it has the middle band with ring, not like yours.

Dale

Thanks for the response Dale. It seems these early Fusilier swords continued to be worn by German Police personnel as a Schleppsabel. I found them listed in a circa 1927 police equipment catalog as a "Wachtmeister-Schleppsabel mit Fusiliergefass, schwarze Lederscheide, Beschlage aus Neusilber". The P guard officer swords were similar but had lion head pommels. This was accomplished by changing the backstrap and making them available in "Neusilber, Tombak, oder vergoldet".

Parts is parts.

George

Lightbulb Füsilier Schleppsäbel in CE Müsterbuch 1902

George: Here is the page from Carl Eichorn's M Buch circa 1902 or so.

Note the one at the very top with the Police style scabbard...I presume you can read German!

Dale,

Yes, I do read German so many thanks for the Eickhorn pages.

The scabbards are the interesting part. I noticed that I had identified a P guard short police sword with a white metal tip scabbard with this same developed drag as being from Braunschweig. That is one reason I like these Weimar Republic period police swords is because of the diversity. All are seemingly a bit different. At any rate take a look at this WKC (also not in the catalog) and its similarity to this generic police sword.

http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...t=braunschweig

Lightbulb Bavarian Police...

George: I found this years ago at a show, has the Bavarian Motto on the blade. I will have to take it down and clean it sometime!!

Wood handle that needs restoration, but was being sold as "Nazi Sword with SS Motto", so I just bought and hung it on the wall....The Tröddel is Bavarian Rural Police.

Dale

I love the seller description of an SS sword. Clearly, if he could not tell the SS motto from the Bavarian one we can see how he would make such a mistake (to increase his price point).

Anyway, here is your Bavarian Police short sword shown in catalog pages.

Yep: The first rule of collecting is: All SS, all CSA, all Paratrooper/Sniper and all German/Japanese Navy items are fake unless proven otherwise..