Thread: Little Seen Phral Eagle Pommel

Little Seen Phral Eagle Pommel

That should read Prahl (too early in the day) Maybe a moderator can fix that for me

I have to first premise that I did not buy this sword, nor know much about the maker aside from Mowbray's texts. We don't see a lot of discussion regarding these, so I figured I would at least get these photos up on the board. A fine example surfaced, along with its almost complete scabbard. A great find for someone and I was excited myself when it showed up on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lewis-Prahl...s/372617603438

I hope others can add to the discussion and I know we have had at least a couple of mentions.

Cheers
    GC
    Attached Images Attached Images             
    Last edited by Glen C.; 03-19-2019 at 05:47 AM.

I have not spent a lot of time studying Prahl as the information is limited with much speculation. Rose being his apprentice is one. He seems to have used two basic eagle heads and hussar hilts repeatedly and two different blade styles. The small top fuller infantry and the three fullered cavalry trade blades. The small top fuller blades I suspect also purchased from Solingen. I do have one type 1 eagle head with a straight blade but believe it a composite. Infantry swords come both in type 1 and type two, cavalry 3 fuller seems to come in type 1, type 2 and hussar hilts. This could be a very interesting thread with compiled information much could be corrected and clarified. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Please excuse my tyro question - but why does the blade look like it was only half-blued? Is it my monitor or is the blade really two-toned?

It was common in late 18th early 19th to deep blue the forte of officers blade with gold high lights on etch. The straight line where it ends at foible and also pointed ending both early. Scroll ending later. What is unusual is no etch and also it is a Solingen trade blade. The slot hilt is also unusually heavy for Prahl and looks more like the ones on Wilhelm Tesch swords of the era like American Light Horse sabers.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

I've got another of these tri fuller Prahl slotted hilt type in files and some other early eagles. My notes are a mess but I believe the other two I am thinking of are Rose and a lancer's type.

My Chromebook hates my big folders when I'm multi tasking but let's give it a shot. I have more images of the shorter sets below..

Prahl sabers

Your guards seem to be the heavier style slot hilt cavalry swords. Not sure which style is earlier. The steel hilt Honor and my country trade blades, while similar to Prahl I hesitate to attribute to him as most info I have seen date these to after 1820. Since Prahl's first contract was in 1775 the 1820 date seems late to be his. The infantry swords are consistant type 1 or type 2. Eric