Thread: Model 1840 Cavalry Sabre or not ?

Model 1840 Cavalry Sabre or not ?

Hi all Just purchased this sword advertised as a American Early Model 1840 Cavalry Sabre it was made by Wilhelm Reinhardt Kirschbaum, as Im not to knowledgeable on this pattern I need some help there is one large fuller the blade length is just under 35” but the overall length is 40” any help would be great many thanks Richard.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  106.7 KB

According to this CR Kirschbaum supplied swords to the US not WR Kirschbaum. http://www.angelfire.com/wa/swordcol...rks/page1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.H View Post
    According to this CR Kirschbaum supplied swords to the US not WR Kirschbaum. http://www.angelfire.com/wa/swordcol...rks/page1.html
    HI. According to Richard Bezdek in his book German swords and sword makers Wilhelm Reinhardt Kirschbaum worked with his father Carl and sold swords to northern dealers in the American civil war

Looks like the 1860 pattern, the 1840p has two fullers, a narrow and a wide one similar to some French swords.

Post the crown over K marks on spine and guard, and the W on the scabbard toe

I believe m1840's have flat spines and m1860's are rounded. Could be considered mle1822 heavy cavalry possibly. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Will, Will Will.....

It is not the US light cavalry "1860" pattern

I'd like to see a photo of the complete sword ! Eric could be on the right track? I recently picked up an 1840, rings removed and scabbard covered in leather, no idea, looks like a Brit mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    I'd like to see a photo of the complete sword ! Eric could be on the right track? I recently picked up an 1840, rings removed and scabbard covered in leather, no idea, looks like a Brit mod.
    Hi all. A picture of the hole sword plus all the markings I could find WRK and Knights head on the Ricasso, K and crown on the guard, K and crown on back edge of blade and a K on the scabbard drag. Its not a 1860 patt grip shape is wrong back of blade is flat and I think the 1860 had a narrower blade, also not a Brit mod Im from the UK and know most of the pattern swords thanks for all the input.

Name:  IMG_20190404_234906.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  103.5 KB
    Name:  a.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  98.1 KBName:  b - Copy.jpg
Size:  92.6 KBName:  c.jpg
Size:  96.0 KBName:  d.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  103.9 KB

A German made French pattern sword for a European country. I'm thinking Swiss or Belgian but really not sure, I know the crown over K is the key.

I have a German made 1840 like yours but made by Gerbruder Weyesburg with the same crown marks but with W underneath I came to the conclusion that they were possibly makers inspection marks yours being K for Kirschbaum mine W for Weyesburg. http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...rks&highlight=
    As Will says above i think your sword like mine was made for a European country.
    Last edited by Michael.H; 04-04-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.H View Post
    I have a German made 1840 like yours but made by Gerbruder Weyesburg with the same crown marks but with W underneath I came to the conclusion that they were possibly makers inspection marks yours being K for Kirschbaum mine W for Weyesburg. http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...rks&highlight=
    As Will says above i think your sword like mine was made for a European country.
    Hi Will & Michael Yes I tend to agree with you thanks for the help.

I have an S&K early US contract 1845. It is a Crown over D inspector mark. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe