Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Military museum. Seville

Down east has plenty of military history and I agree with Matthew that showing several collections of militaria very informative. Have to remember museums are a business and they have to make $$. Swords, firearms, uniforms, cannons etc.
    Just think of all the computer games and TV series set in times using swords and armour. Many do not understand the youth today have a great passion for this and this translates into $$ for museums.
    School trips to museums with arms and armour displays can emphasize this and create life long attractions. I have a sword of an officer who's brother moved down east from the UK and was high up in Canadian politics. The sword I have was sent down east as was other belongings to his brother upon his death. This officer lead the 31st foot at the Battle of Sobraon and was promoted for gallantry. This battle was fought at the point of the bayonet, hand to hand combat, very bloody. Isn't that what youth thrive on using video games and mini series shows?

There are tons of small museums with very niche collections. I am thinking of the various clock museums around the world that are maintained by a few hardcore volunteers. They receive fairly small number of visitors and without a big donation to keep them going their perinity is always an issue, especially outside of big tourist spots. People always tend to underestimate how much it costs to run a museum of a certain size, and how tricky it is to bring visitors to even the most breathtaking displays, especially in the post social media world.

As for museums being interested in making money, that's not quite true. A museum's foremost goal should be education. For many museums, admission fees are a way to keep things going in the absence of proper public or private funds but they should never be the end goal. Visitor numbers are of course always a good way to attract such funds in the first place.

Let's not overestimate the attraction of our hobby either. Sure kids young and old like knights and tales of heroic deeds, but does that interest go far enough to endure seeing rows and rows of virtually identical bars of steel? Let's face it, if the subject was that popular you would not have institutions like the Higgins folding up.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/201...3NP/story.html

You have a pdf online guide to the Military Museum:

http://www.ejercito.mde.es/Galerias/...seo-cap-04.pdf

And a 2009 catalog of the weapons at Seville Etnographic Museum (not the military).

http://www.museosdeandalucia.es/docu...9-892f94075587

Cheers
    Last edited by Javier Ramos; 04-25-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Ramos View Post
    You have an online guide to the museum:

http://www.ejercito.mde.es/Galerias/...seo-cap-04.pdf

And a 2009 catalog of the weapons.

http://www.museosdeandalucia.es/docu...9-892f94075587

Cheers
    Thank you Javier,
    I´m expecting to go again to the museun to take some photos about the rapier collection and bayonets and cutterly, in order to show them, as someone here asked.
    In fact, this museum is really impresive in fire arms, as it shows the former collection of the artillery factory. They had there almost every model of hand guns and military rifles existing at their time, the 40/50´s.

Hello,
    Some asked for some photos of the rapier collection. Today I was to the Museum, and finally took some of them, next to the other part of napoleonic pieces which I lend to them.
    regardsName:  20190506_105021.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  94.9 KBName:  20190506_105012.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  94.0 KBName:  20190506_105007.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  97.5 KBName:  20190506_105003.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  95.0 KBName:  20190506_104952.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  94.8 KB

There are some swords in the firsts pictures which are clearly not from napoleonic period. They just share the same showcase...

David,
    Many thanks for sharing the photos of the rapier collection. I can’t believe I missed this museum when I was there 10 years ago! I highly recommend visiting Seville to other members for the history and the culture although be warned that it gets very hot in the summers. The local royal palace is amazing as is the cathedral which hosts the tomb of Christopher Columbus! The four coffin bearers represent the kingdoms of Leon, Castille, Aragon and Navarra.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Magnus K; 05-06-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks for sharing, David. It's always good to see as many examples of rapiers as possible!
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12