Thread: 1852 Naval Officers’ Sword and Scabbard to Lieutenant Commander Homer C. Blake

1852 Naval Officers’ Sword and Scabbard to Lieutenant Commander Homer C. Blake

I have been in pursuit of this sword for nearly 15 years. Patience persevered and I am now the proud custodian of this historic sword. It is featured in an article in the July-August 1981 issue of North South Trader Magazine. The scrimshaw was obtained by the previous owner and the CDV was already in my collection.

Ames Pattern 1852 Naval Officers’ Sword and Scabbard to Lieutenant Commander Homer C. Blake from his Fellow Officers of the Steamer Hatteras.

This pattern Ames 1852 Naval Officers’ sword is historically significant in that it was worn by Lieutenant Commander Homer C. Blake when he commanded the Steamer Hatteras during its engagement with the CSS Alabama on 11 January 1863 and subsequently surrendered this sword to Captain Raphael Semmes. The sword bears the inscription on the top scabbard mount on a diagonal “Presented to / Lt Comdr Homer C. Blake / by his / Fellow Officers / Steamer Hatteras / Dec. 3. 1862” Blake and his crew were paroled at Kingston, Jamaica. Blake would go on the command Steamer Eutaw on the James River, and after the war he served at the Navy's Bureau of Navigation at Portsmouth, New Hampshire. He was promoted to Commander on 3 March 1866. He commanded the Sloop Swatara on the European Squadron in 1868, and on 8 December 1869, commissioned the Sloop Alaska. Blake was promoted to Captain on 25 May 1871, and joined four other ships of the Asiatic Squadron in an expedition to Korea. From 1873 until 1876 Blake commanded the Naval Rendezvous in New York. He was promoted to Commodore on 12 January 1880, however he died on 21 January 1880 from Malaria.
    Attached Images Attached Images             

Now that is an outstanding collection.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson