Thread: Assistance with a mystery crest please

Assistance with a mystery crest please

Afternoon all

I was hoping I might pick your brains about this mystery quest.

Unfortunately the Proof Page is of no help although I believe it to be incorrect anyway.

The sword was proved 1889 and has a 'Claymore' blade and a Scroll/Acanthus hilt and I am darn certain the motto is "Immemor Nunquam" and the crest "a Griffin's head erased".

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Exasperating! No hits at all, but if you reverse the phrase to Nunquam Immemor that is the motto of the Arnall family ( Thrussington, Leicestershire ). And flicking through ‘Fairbairn’s’ Nunquam appears regularly as the first word of many mottos ( Never this, never that etc.) Wonder if Wilkinson made a mistake? Super sword though Jordan.

Shelleys of Castle Goring? Lots of military in that family. Can't quite make out if the griffin is ducally gorged...

Thanks Ben and Sean, after much detective work and no assistance from any internet research, I have discovered that the sword has been in the same family since purchase and it turns out that the owner was a certain Robert Henry Brooke Hunt of the Seaforth Highlanders. Interestingly enough his medals are about to come up for sale:

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/catal...4&lot_id=52340

Tempted? Shame it’s not your sword in the photo. Well done though.