Thread: Sword Identification Question

Sword Identification Question

I have a pair of swords I'm trying to identify. They have the brass Gothic style hilt like British swords, but do not have the monarch's monogram on the guard. They both appear to be German made (Alexander Coppel scales logo on one, Weyersberg King's head logo on the other) and have German type marks (crowned C on one and crowed W on the other) on the spine of the blade and on the brass guard near the thumb rest. My old W.K.C. catalog (reprint) shows their model No. 284, which looks almost identical to a British 1845/1854 Infantry officer's sword (very similar to this, but with the monogram in the guard and a curved blade), as a Braunschweigischer (Brunswick) Husaren officer's sword. So I'm thinking that this model might be from one of the German states, possibly pre 1871. Does anyone know what they are?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Robert Kolsch; 05-05-2019 at 03:59 PM.

I believe the crown over C marking is Carl Gustaf of Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Can you cite a source for that, Will? Here are the Swedish royal ciphers: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...rams_of_Sweden

To my knowledge, those are not Swedish pattern sabres.

There is some misunderstanding.

Will is correct, crowned C is a mark used by Carl Gustaf Stads gevärsfaktori - Swedish firearms and bayonets maker. I don't think they made long blades. The blade maker was Alex Coppel, according to scales mark at ricasso.
    And crowned C is not maker mark, but some kind of arsenal/inventory mark.

I think these are Romanian swords.
    Last edited by Ivan B.; 05-09-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Mark I googled markings just to confirm my memory as to it being a Swedish mark. I was careful not to say the swords were in Swedish use.

No worries, Will. I just thought it could be misinterpreted stated the way it was.

Also, the Carl Gustaf Stads Gevärsfaktori stamp is shown below. A bit different than what's on this sword, but I suppose the mark might have changed over the years. Still, I suspect it is unlikely that the Swedish factory had a global monopoly on the use of a crowned C stamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is the marking on a rifle: http://dutchman.rebooty.com/1867sporter.html
    Mark you are correct that the markings vary in appearance, some rifles have fancy script "C" as here:https://www.msgo.com/threads/swedish...arkings.31496/
    Usually the smaller the marking the more simplistic it becomes.
    As you mention no monopoly on using this marking and could very well be something else. Not much in the way of English references from previous Communist Block countries, if this sword is from one of these.
    Last edited by Will Mathieson; 05-10-2019 at 10:23 AM.