Thread: Bavarian Officer's degen

Bavarian Officer's degen

I just received this Bavarian Degen made by Carl Eichorn. I'm curious what model this would be. Is it a cavalry version of the 1889?
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Paul: Walking out dress for one of the Schwerer Reiter Regts. I do not remember which one was silver and which one was gold. For field duty they would disassemble the hilt and add the basket. (The Bavarians were legendary for their tight fisted spending...)

This is a Pallosch not a Degen, the designation is not by design features but by user in German practice of that era..

Dale

Thank you very much.

Paul: The motto is: "IN TREUE FEST" the official motto of Bavaria...around 1890, the Bavarians added the requirement that all officers' edged weapons had to display this motto. It is usually translated as: "In Loyalty Steadfast"...

Dale

Lightbulb Bavarian Officers' Palosch, with basket

Paul: Here is a shot of the basket hilt that was usually sold with the type of Palosch that you have. To avoid having to buy two swords, the thrifty Bavarians usually bought the weapon with the basket and the simple hilt. They would unscrew the hilt cap, and change out the hilt parts as required. This is noted in the catalogs of the era...

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images