Thread: Prussian Kürassier Palosch--Damask Stahl

Question Prussian Kürassier Palosch--Damask Stahl

OK fellow Wootz fans, what do you think about this rat? WK&C, after 1883, before 1918. Kürassier Officers' Palosch...

At first I was thinking Frankensword, but the state of the tang and grip tell me otherwise...

Overall, 39" Blade is 34"

Tang bears the Solingen mark; "M + D" and the smith's initials "RV". there was 100+ years of crud on the tang and blade, which I carefully cleaned with industrial grade aqueous ammonia and a brass brush....The grip is molded plastic of ancient type..with fancy type wire wrap.

The tang seems to be exactly right for this hilt..It was not unusual for Officers to order a different blade for their own sword, this one is the KD 1889 pattern, in place of the Kürassier blade..
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Very nice. And indeed unusual to see a KD89 blade...but it seems to fit that hilt.

M+D I have once heard to be Max Dinger, a renowned smith

Best regards
    Non soli cedit!

Frank: I heard that he worked as a sub-contractor, but there is little published now on this fellow...

The curve of the tang, does not match the curve on the KD 89, it shows no evidence of alteration..

I had to remove a lot of rust from the tang, and just cleaning the blade gently removed most of the grunge..

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 05-17-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Hi Dale,

Interesting sword.
    Etched blades seem to have had some moderate popularity amongst Germanic officers of the period.

I would have to reiterate (as you say in the thread title) that it's not 'wootz' and that even the favoured monicker usually applied to this type of etched blade of 'damascus/damask' is somewhat unhelpful.
    It seems to cover everything from seemingly standard blades etched to show their structure, through to blades where the steel has been carefully layered and manipulated to produce elaborate 'pattern welded' blades.

How is the length compared with the usual blade type for this hilt?
    Would even a non-standard blade have to conform to a standard length?

It does look like the layering and interuption of that layering is deliberate and so I'd guess that the blade was specifically made to be etched to reveal a pattern.

Gene: Blade length is 860 CM which is the usual length for these. I wanted to get the Wootz fans excited, the pattern is typical German work, but I can't resist a joke!

Non standard blade form has little to do with length for Officers, they were sized by the officer's height..

Dale

Hi Dale,

Then as you've had it apart and that didn't ring warning bells, I'd say your instincts are as uaual bang on the money!

The curve of the tang does not match the KD 89...

Dale

Now the question is, to acid etch or not?? I have the stuff here, but I think this one will remain as it is. I will repair the grip, and the last wrap....Even cold gun blue will bring out the contrast...and it is reversible with no problems. One thing I have noticed in the past, is that these fancier blades were often lacquered like a musical instrument, especially Saxon and Prussian examples..

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Martin View Post
    Gene: Blade length is 860 CM which is the usual length for these.

Dale
    Wow, what a blade! Surely made für den größten der preußischen Ritter...

(just a small joke, perdóneme usted, caballero! )
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Juan: Yo tambien...
    "Hecho para el mejor caballero prusiano!"

Dale