Thread: French infantry saber sample XI year.

French infantry saber sample XI year.

Hello.
    I wanted to ask the opinion of experts on the stamp of the manufacturer on the blade of the saber H & K Böker Remscheid - during what period could this blade be made in Germany before the brothers emigrated to America?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I also wanted to know at what time the inspection stamps were put on the handle - there most likely “L” and “B” under the star, as well as on the blade most likely “D” under the crown.

I also wanted to ask if anyone had met such an inscription on the handle and what it means - what exactly is written, I don’t know, because I don’t have a saber.

Thanks in advance to all who have shown interest in my topic.
    Sincerely, Vladimir.

Yes, I forgot to show a photo of the saber.
    Last edited by Vladimir Sukhomlinov; 05-17-2019 at 07:49 PM.

The name on the hilt is that of Manceaux, a very high end fourbisseur who created most of the early to mid 19th century patterns of French sabres.

Max, thanks for the reply.
    It turns out that this is the name of the supplier of sabers, such as Horstmann, who supplied swords with blades from Germany to America? And on other brands you can not say anything?
    Sincerely, Vladimir.

It is not a supplier, but rather the fourbisseur, or cutler, who is responsible for assembling swords onto his own hilts. I don't think Manceaux did much business outside of France, at least not for munition grade pieces. Plus, I do not think this type of sword saw use in the US. The hilt stamps also seem to infer that this was used in France. German made blades are not uncommon at certain times and some cutlers had access to Solingen depots. Here's a similar one dated to the French Restauration. http://www.bertrand-malvaux.com/fr/p...tauration.html

Max thanks again for the reply. Now I understand everything.
    I still have one more small question - to what extent could such infantry sabers be used in real combat by French infantry? Or were they only objects of ammunition and were given preference to firearms?
    Sincerely, Vladimir.

They were carried mostly by grenadiers, light infantry, NCOs and elite regiments. Mostly troops that could find themselves in melee combat before they could fix their bayonets. As with most swords around that era, it was rarely used in battle though very popular for duels.

Max, thank you very much for the answer.
    Sincerely, Vladimir.