Thread: 1912 Cavalry Officers Sword

1912 Cavalry Officers Sword

Hi All
    Just a quick question, are all 1912 Patterns plated. I have one made by Mole which shows no sign whatsoever of plating. I would have thought if it had been, there would be small bits of it left in the detailing, but there's nothing.
    I was wondering if it could be a senior NCO'S sword, but there are no issue markings on what looks like the standard Officers blade. Would a senior NCO's sword also be plated, or could it be an Officers choice not to have it plated.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Graham

Graham, photos are always helpful. What cypher is on the bowl ( GR, GRI or other) is the blade etched, field or dress scabbard etc? Unusual to find one without the standard nickel plating, the only variation I’m aware of (apart from a couple of regimental cyphers) are those few with plain 1908 Troopers blades suggested to be a war economy issue.

Hi Ben
    Yes photos would be better, but can't work out how to post them from my mobile. Anyway it appears to be a standard officers sword, the GR monogram is the normal European one, it has the standard leather service
    and the blade decoration is standard. The only criticism I have about the sword is that the guard decoration isn't that deep compared to a couple of Wilkinsons I've had in the past. The sword isn't repro in any way, but it doesn't look officer standard.

Cheers
    Hraham

Graham what kind of grip material does your sword have? What makers name is on the sword? There are some convincing copies out there.

Hi Will
    The grip is the standard fish skin type, the skin appears to be real rather than faux, the grip wire is there but loose. The makers name is Mole. The blade has been service sharpened and has numerous nicks on it, it has a real been there feel about it.
    I've looked closely at the hilt, and there are signs of black rust which has been cleaned off, i suppose it's possible that the sword has been plated, and been taken off by the cleaning, although i don't know how easy it would be to remove plating through cleaning.

Cheers
    Graham

Without seeing the sword my guess is plating loss. Sword makers of the era never used a copper wash on the steel before nickel plating so it did not adhere very well over time.
    If you have black corrosion then it once must have been covered in corrosion as this does not happen in just spots. Mole was just a good as maker as Wilkinson so the quality is there.

Name:  IMG-20190515-WA0001.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  104.2 KB

Hi Will
    Managed to upload s photo, hope this helps

Cheers
    Graham

The hilt and pommel cap look nickel plated to me, just genuinely aged, the inside of the guard normally suffers worse. PS. Wilkinson bought out Robert Mole in 1920 so it’s a fairly early example.
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 05-23-2019 at 01:58 AM.

I agree with Ben that it retains its nickel plating, some Brasso should polish it up nicely.

Thanks Ben & Will
    Your help is appreciated

Cheers
    Graham