Thread: New to me, a George IV 1822 pattern sword.

New to me, a George IV 1822 pattern sword.

I had a good day at the last Militaria Fair, and picked up an Ok condition 1822 officers sword.... Then looking at the cipher realised it was a bit earlier than I thought. The next surprise being the revelation that it was a sergeants sword rather than a commissioned officers. I am certain that it has been worked on, and a new grip put on it, one that I am not altogether happy with. Has anyone taken one of these early ones apart, and knows if the tang is threaded or peened only.
    Otherwise a sword I am quite happy with. Am I alone in thinking these early ones are just that bit more elegant and subtle in form than the later ones?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

David what is the grip covering made of? It appears to be smooth with some shine to it. The sword should have the tang button that is pictured and a nut securing the end of the guard against the grip.

The grip covering is definitely not what it should be, but looks to be a thin smooth leather or leather like material with a printed pattern a bit like shagreen. In fact I think it might be a complete transplanted grip. The question for me is whether it's worth the hassle and risk to change it, which is why I want to find out more about the details of construction. I know how later British swords went together, but I believe this is on that cusp between threaded tangs and riveted over only.

My first impression was a grip made of a composite material but a portion at the pommel appears to have some loss to the covering. The grip looks to fit well and possibly just covering it with fish skin would do it? The tang button could be threaded and then the tang peened over. Usually the tang button is destroyed upon removal.

I have a similar one for sale right now. George IV and hybrid sergeant blade. Mine is peened.