Thread: German saber with a stamp in the form of a wolf (wolchek).

German saber with a stamp in the form of a wolf (wolchek).

Hello.
    I ask you to express an opinion on the originality of the mark on the blade and the time period for posting such a mark. Does a blade with such a mark match the production period of sabers with such a handle?
    Thanks in advance to all who have shown interest in my topic.
    Sincerely, Vladimir.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Passauer Wolf, Passau in Germany made many swords with many different makers. The running wolf was the city trade mark.

Dale

Dale, thanks for the reply.
    Is the wolf brand authentic?
    In one book I saw several versions of such stamps, but they were somewhat different in style. Therefore, I had a question of authenticity.
    In appearance, the blade and the stamp look old, but to increase the price when selling it is possible to put an old blade on the old blade with a tool and rust it.
    Sincerely, Vladimir.

In appearance, this is a Bavarian infantry soldier saber of the sample of 1806, but the blade must have the initials or monogram of King Maximilan 1 or Ludwig 1, but it does not have this blade and it is stamped by the masters from Pissau - is this normal? Could an earlier blade be used on the saber or is it a modern assembly of old components? Blade length 585 mm. with a width of 30 mm. and thickness near the handle 7 mm.

My 2 cents: the style of the running wolf on the blade is earlier (at the latest ca. 1750??) than the hilt (early 1800s). As you noted in your last post, it is either an earlier blade mounted in a later hilt sometime in the early 1800s, or it is a modern composite. A third option is that the sword was married in the later 1800s, so while not modern, still a composite.

--ElJay

Thanks for the answer.
    I know that using old rapier blades on which new ews were placed on aristocratic swords in European countries was the norm in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. But those were civilian swords, regulated only by fashion, pleasant during that period.
    The handle on this saber from the charter saber of the German infantry in the sample of 1806.
    Consequently, the question arises whether the installation of blades from old sabers was allowed on statutory hilt, instead of lost blades or not?
    If such a substitution, such as naprmer on French sabers, was allowed, then such a set could take place in the beginning - middle of the 19th century, if it was not allowed, then this is an assembly for collectors of the late 19th or 20th century .....
    Sincerely, Vladimir.

I think that the same hilt, or pretty much the same one, was made regulation in France in the 1760's... so the marriage could take place a bit earlier than 1806...
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Juan, thanks for the reply.
    And what in France in 1760 sabers were in use exactly with such a handle?
    Sincerely, Vladimir.

They were the first 'briquets'. Short sabres for light infantry and grenadiers, mostly.
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Juan, thanks for the answer, did not know about the French swords with such a handle. I was looking for a German trail ....