Thread: Mle 1845 Adjudant d' Infantrie 1914 date

Lightbulb Mle 1845 Adjudant d' Infantrie 1914 date

Guys: I obtained this from a dealer in Oklahoma. "Mfre National d' Chattelreault Adjudant d' Infantrie Mle 1845" is etched on the blade. Grip is buffalo horn, not ebony.

It arrived with at damaged grip, and missing the wire. I examined the existing fragments and determined the type and size. My wife reenacts the French and Indian War, and has a supply of buffalo horn utensiles that are not usable due to cracks. One of them was the right color and grain...so I cut off a little piece and fixed the grip. I had a chunk missing on the bottom, near the junction with the hilt. I have noted that nail salons are fond of cyanoacrylate or super glue..So I used that to attach the repair. Cut the groove for the wire and polished it up. Installed correct gauge wire of the proper finish and that solved the problem..I obtained the wire from Rio Grande jewelry supply, they have most of the right sized and proper materiel for sword wire repairs.

Note I used a looped pistol cleaning rod and electric drill at slow speed to duplicate the original twist of the French wire.

Every one of this model I have encountered was made at Klingenthal, now I have a real one from the State Arsenal. It is somehow a bit heftier and somewhat better made in my opinion.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images       

I love these 1845s. Châtellerault apparently produced better quality blades and were regarded as such in this era, the price also reflected this. But interestingly, they are rarely found on officer swords. These NCO models are beefier, as they had to endure many decades of service, but they tend to have crisper lines than the Klingenthal ones, and rarely come loose in the hilt. Do you have matching poincons and unit numbers on the scabbard and guard?

Max: I will take a look and post the results..

I thought the rank carrying this model were Warrant Officers?

Dale

An adjudant, by that time, is part of the highest rank of sous-officier (which you could translate as NCO). They are more or less like Commonwealth warrant officers, but not really like those of the US military, hence why I usually call them NCO, but in the end there is no real equivalent. Interestingly, they were very often put in charge of fencing instruction and fought to keep the 1845 as their sabre when the 1882 model was introduced.

Max: Thanks, I was a US Army CW3, I understand the French rank.. The Blade has two Poincons, (J) (C). Series No is 41930, the scabbard is marked with (F) (G) and the number is 38965...

Dale