Thread: Trying to obtain information about my "T.H.S." British Royal Artillery sword.

Trying to obtain information about my "T.H.S." British Royal Artillery sword.

Good Day to all, I’m a new member and would like to get your assistance in identifying my British Royal Artillery sword, identifying the original owner, and providing an estimated value.

It is 41.5” OA with a 35” blade, 1.075” wide and .3” thick at the ricasso. The right side of the blade has interlocking triangles, brass proof disc, "T.H.S.", and Winged Lighting bolts with “Royal” “Artillery” and the left side of the blade has George V’s monogram, a Crown, and a Cannon. Around the perimeter of the brass proof disk there is “ROVED=” and there is a dot after the “=”. The “R” is very light, especially considering how clear/pronounced the “OVED” is visible. There is also a “K” in the center of the disc. One could assume that the disk originally had a “P”, but interesting how it could have been totally wiped out. Pictures attached
    Attached Images Attached Images         

The proof slug has simply been unevenly stamped. If you look at each letter in sequence, they progressively stand more proud of the base as you move to the right.

I'm not at all sure this is the right man, but the 1912 Army List shows a Lieutenant T. H. Stammas serving as Quartermaster in the RHA (see pages 1665, 198 and 213). He was promoted to Captain on July 1, 1917, per the London Gazette. A place to start your research, if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cain View Post
    I'm not at all sure this is the right man, but the 1912 Army List shows a Lieutenant T. H. Stammas serving as Quartermaster in the RHA (see pages 1665, 198 and 213). He was promoted to Captain on July 1, 1917, per the London Gazette. A place to start your research, if nothing else.
    Thanks Mark, Good point for the proof disk and I will continue to pursue Lt/Capt Stammas. Any idea of whose proof mark it is with the "K" in the center?

The proof mark may be that of S&J Kitchin a Sheffield maker of the period. Officers of the Royal Horse Artillery adopted the 1912 pattern cavalry sword, so you may have to keep searching. Also, forum rules prevent us from discussing current values, so suggest you have a look at the-saleroom.com for similar examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    The proof mark may be that of S&J Kitchin a Sheffield maker of the period. Officers of the Royal Horse Artillery adopted the 1912 pattern cavalry sword, so you may have to keep searching. Also, forum rules prevent us from discussing current values, so suggest you have a look at the-saleroom.com for similar examples.
    Thanks, Ben for the S&J Kitchin lead. But, think I found rational for Lt Stammas not having the 1912 pattern... from the 5 June 08 London Gazette: "Sergeant-Major Thomas Henry Stammas to be Quartermaster, with the honorary rank of Lieutenant, vice Honorary Captain G. L. Cockaday, M.V.O. Dated 6th June, 1908."

Great, hopefully ‘RHA’ was just a blip, found him as born 16/10/63, commissioned 6/6/08, Major 3/6/19 and retired R.A. 1/10/19.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    Great, hopefully ‘RHA’ was just a blip, found him as born 16/10/63, commissioned 6/6/08, Major 3/6/19 and retired R.A. 1/10/19.
    Ben, Thanks again for your contributions to my efforts. I've not been able to obtain any additional data, but sure appreciate your help!