Thread: Donkey Foot?

Donkey Foot?

Whilst looking at some swords online a couple of days since, I came upon a reference to a 'Donkey foot' in regard to a French smallsword. Not something I've heard before, can someone here enlighten me?

Mel, it’s the literal translation from the French for Pas D’ane , ie the small rings below the quillon!

Actually, this is a confusion that seems to have entered collectors vocabulary in the late 19th century. Pas d'âne does not refer to the rings, but to the shape of the guard which is similar to a donkey's footprint. The rings are actually called annelets. Reference is Alexandre Bardin, dictionnaire de l'Armée de terre, 1841, as well as tons of other dictionnaries and fencing treatises from the 18th century.

Thank you gentlemen for clarifications on the foot of the donkey and the pas. Ever so confusing the terms that can be used for swords. Not that one does not understand or mabe so but why use the term at all. espanda ancha, wide blade, donkey foot, small sword, melon, pillow and once used, no retreat. The main goal is that others understand what is being discussed so the word does not matter if universal. I had looked at so many donkeys feet I was beginning to think they were in the back. Simple enough once explained, and it even makes some sence, since I read your two cents.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Ben, Max, thank you. I've always accepted that Pas d'ane referred to the rings, we all learn something new every day
    There was a mixture of smallsword styles shown on the site that I visited, only the figure Eight guard were described as D/F. I can see why they would be interpreted being as hoof shaped.

So, donkey foot to describe the plates/counterguard (rather than kidney or lobate) and anneletes for the rings. Makes sense but terms that will forever be confusil.

Cheers
    GC

<dupe/delete>
    Last edited by Glen C.; 06-13-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Vocabulary changed in the past and can change again, just look at broadsword or claymore, two terms that were widely used to name certain swords and with a bit of a push from a small community changed completely. There are tons of vocabulary contained in historical documents like Bardin that are currently being ignored and could be very useful or make a lot more sense.