Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Unusual unit mark on war booty saber Prus. Mod 1872

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Posts
    1,497

    Lightbulb Unusual unit mark on war booty saber Prus. Mod 1872

    Fellows: The pics are the result of two months of Saber acquisition... Most were no bids-last minute buys on the usual suspect, and some were locally (Alabama) found at gun shows and antique malls.

    Back Story: In 1872 the Prussian Ulans adopted a saber of their own design, using captured French Mle 1822 Cav.Legere blades and scabbards. They came up with a hilt that was virtually a Blüchersaber hilt, without langets. The langets were not possible due to the fatter French scabbard, so they did without them. In 1889 the Ulans were required to use the new model Kavallrie Degen, so these were given to the support troops and artillery units. in 1891-92, the blades were shortened to 89 CM, and the lower ring deleted. Where this becomes interesting is that the Ulans bought the same saber, new made in Solingen, apparently they did not take enough from the French! According to the German collectors, they used up all the unsold blades that were being exported to make their own design. I think Solingen makers sold a lot of the French Montmorency blade sabers during the US CW, so when it ended, they had some on hand...

    As one can see readily, it will be a while while I sort out this hoard. There are two Saxon and one Württemburg models in this pile...

    I hope you have fun figuring out which is which!

    The unknown unit mark is: "1.ERS.B.R.7.27." I cannot figure it out, even with Jeff Nolls book!

    Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Posts
    1,497
    Well the Germans have replied on their forums...

    WW1 Wartime markings are not always complete, the Germans were transitioning from unit marks, eventually they deleted them totally...This one is an example of the regiment or parent unit no being indicated..

    "1st Ersatz Battery, Reserve, unit no. 7, 27th weapon" This is an ambiguous marking and it was intended that way..

    It could be the supply column of Infantry, Artillery or some other unit. but I think this one is Artillery.

    Keep in mind that the front line use of horses was almost ended, so this might have been the towing unit as well, on the Eastern front, things were different, but they were also in the process of deleting the unit marks, or just restricting them to a few numbers.

    Dale

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Posts
    1,497

    Lightbulb Markings....French

    Guys: I have removed the recent green paint and it was rust blued under the paint, so the finish was protected from corrosion.

    Top of blade with really nice French inscription, and over all shot of the saber.

    I made the leather blade cushion out of old grungy dried out leather slings...The oil soaking is with Ballistol, which is at least better than other modern oils..

    Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Posts
    1,497

    Lightbulb Results of paint removal..

    Well, paint is gone, and the original German Bronze Noir de Guerre is seen..

    Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •