Thread: American Revolutionary War or earlier socket bayonet? Help please!

American Revolutionary War or earlier socket bayonet? Help please!

I have an intriguing little find here that with hours or research has left me stumped. My first gut instinct was the origin might be French but German/Dutch I guess or even American could be in the realm of possibilities? For all I know, it could be after the Revolution. Haha. It does appear to have had a locking ring at one point?

Thoughts on origin, a pattern, possible date? Anything will be immensely grateful! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Jess Bruce; 06-13-2019 at 02:04 PM.

With the short socket (2 inches?) and short blade with odd locking studs it most likely is a bayonet for a hunting musket. The blade is too short for military use, looks like 10 inches?

The overall length is about 12 1/2 inches. The socket part is only 2 inches. Pretty short. It’s quite light in hand. Hunting musket... hmm... with the bore length, I wonder what type of musket. Some kind of fowler? Fusil?

For most game I don't think you'd need a bayonet on your musket. But if hunting wild boar or bear it could save your life. A hunting bayonet is an interesting idea.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

I believe a hunting bayonet was used to dispatch wounded game rather than to reload a black powder firearm.

I hadn't thought of that, Will. It makes sense, but as I said it could also save your life when hunting dangerous game you only wounded. Both uses were probably intended.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton