Thread: Shortened Gladius

Shortened Gladius

I'm sure that we all have a few acquisitions lying around in the miscellaneous department titled, dunno why I kept it, but it may turn out to be be interesting.
    One that I have, is a straight forward French Chatellerault infantry 'Gladius' which has had the blade cut down to 11 inches ( 28 cm ) making it into quite an effective sidearm for trench or close quarter work, probably an improvement on the original. The thing that piques my curiosity is that the crossguard is stamped C S A.
    Is it the sort of thing that may have been used during the Civil War, or, more likely a victim of the fakers and dodgy dealers brigade?

Could be either. Got a photo?
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    Could be either. Got a photo?
    Hi there Eric, the sun's actually shining brightly up here in Durham this morning so I would say that there's a good chance of a couple of pic's following.

Photo's
    Attached Images Attached Images    

It is French infantry with a modern stamp for the south.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Thanks Eric, I wasn't getting very exited, when I first found it I wondered if it was possibly cut down for WWI trench use, which I suppose could be feasible, it handles well, but the CSA stamping lets the cat out of the bag. Unless of course it was done by private Colin Samuel Anderson

Mel, it very well could be a CSA cut down. The South did not hold to standard patterns but the Sans font did not come to states till after 1900 sometime. Many people as Confederate swords became popular stamped CSA even on old pieces to perhaps make them more sellable. I cannot say this is not Confederate or from the period or perhaps earlier. Is it dated or does it have poincons? I can only say that it is not a Confederate stamp. They never marked in that fashion nor did they date swords as many fakes are stamped 1862. It is a spear point bowie made from a gladius and looks consistent with age. I say nice find.

Thank you Eric.
    Mel.