Thread: Possible Civil War Veterans Sword ?

Possible Civil War Veterans Sword ?

I don't often come across swords but today I picked up this. From what I can find
    out it is something of a model 1860 Staff sword, though I don't expect it at all
    to be a service piece, but a later civil version. The blade is unremarkable and was
    not engraved, nor is it in the best of condition. The only markings are the maker;
    Ames Sword Co. Chicago Illinois as shown somewhat faintly. The other side has
    No 38 engraved which is impossible to photograph, the sword design number?.
    The sword guard has the H K cast into it with the Irish Harp between. I have no idea what
    H & K mean but I quite liked the Harp motif. Obviously an Irish Fraternal or Veteran
    group of which I have no idea. The Pommel seems to have the proper U.S. motifs on it
    such that is military related ? The Scabbard is in fine condition.
    Any help in identifying this will be gratefully appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

GAR Sword

Gordon: Here is a known GAR Sword, same pattern as your Hibernian Knights of Equity sword. Note this GAR has a simple stud on the scabbard for carry in a frog.

I could not find any other Civil War Vet Org sword quickly...

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 06-15-2019 at 09:54 PM.

So it could be the Hibernian Knights organization, though searching with that doesn't
    turn up another example like this. Hopefully some one has another.

Gordon: I found A.O.H. and their sub organization, "Knights of Equity" ...That was all that was even close to H K. ("Ancient Order of Hibernians")

Dale

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  99.1 KB

I was quite wrong about the markings, it's Chicopee Mass ~
    Using some strong ammonia and no abrasives the hilt cleaned up
    very well with 90% original finish remaining.
    If the above information is correct and this is a Hibernian Knight
    sword which makes perfect sense, there doesn't seem to have been
    great numbers of them as say compare to the knights Templars who seem to be
    everywhere. If this is so that would account for the difficulty in finding other
    examples. I wonder if an Ames catalogue illustrates this sword?

I also wish to thank the ever kind members who have helped me out identifying
    this sword. As always the members of this forum are professional and courteous.
    G.S.
    Last edited by Gordon Spragge; 06-17-2019 at 03:18 PM. Reason: additional dialogue

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Spragge View Post
    I wonder if an Ames catalogue illustrates this sword?
    The Man At Arms reprint of the Ames catalog was the first place I went...no joy.

I've been meaning to open the Hamilton, Kaplan and Marino book, as I seem to recall seeing this version pictured and described there.
    https://gunandswordcollector.com/pro...aternal-sword/
    I'll look the next time I'm in the other room

I don't own the Ames catalog reprint but it might be seen there as well.

It is a lesser known fraternity and there were hundreds using swords in their regalia.

Cheers
    GC

Yes, page 73 of the mentioned book. A very sparse paragraph but " Hiberian Knights; A ceremonial uniformed branch of the AOH, which evolved from the Hiberian Rifle during the post-Civil War era. Local units:divisions"

Shown also a cruciform guard helmet pommel pre ACW military branch of the AOH

AOH, the Ancient Order of Hiberians formed in 1836 with a column of text and eight examples of the swords pages 55-57 of the same book. Two of the AOH examples with the shell guards, both Boston retailers and likely Ames produced during the same period. The other six examples, variations of the cruciform guards with helmet pommels.

There was a forumite here at one point seeking examples but that was a decade or so ago.
    Last edited by Glen C.; 06-22-2019 at 09:38 PM.