Thread: Help with initials

Help with initials

Morning all

Iíve had this wilkinson heavy cavalry sword in my collection for some years now, numbered 28859, unfortunately there is no name I the ledger. The blade is luckily initiated with what i think is JEM, Iíve unfortunately had no luck with this so thought Iíd see if anyone can turn anything up on this. Attached below is the i itials incase they are for a different set of initials.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lewis, I been through Hart’s 1888-1891, can’t see J E M (or ? E M) in any of the Heavy Regiments, don’t think The Yeomanry used them until the pattern became universal in 1896. I take it it’s a standard HC 1821p? Further pics might help.

Interesting, does look like an EM for the initials. Yeah the sword is just the standard pattern without any other specific etching on the blade.

Lewis,
    A few thoughts. Does the proof page specify heavy or light cavalry? Also, I believe some yeomanry were classified as Heavy Cavalry. Years ago I was interested in a HC officer's sword with just initials and asked Robert Wilkinson Latham, when he was active on this forum, if he knew if any Yeomanry regiments were classified as HC. He said yes and sent me a short list, which I can't seem to find at the moment. I didn't buy the sword. The initials on yours look like J.E.M. to me as well.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Been a while since I looked at the proof page, but I am sure it was a heavy cavalry, that is interesting I’ll have a look at some yeomary lists, for JEM.

I believe it is T.E.M. Worth a try to see if it fits

There is a Lieutenant John Edmund Mackenzie in the 7th Dragoon Guards in the 1889 Hart's. He went from the RMC into the 2nd West India Regiment in 1885 and exchanged into the 7th Dragoon Guards on Sept 8th, 1888, which would have created the need for a cavalry sword. It's also the exact year the sword was made. In 1895 he went to the 3rd Hussars. There is also the Indian Army cavalry regiments but Mackenzie looks like promising candidate.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeShowers; 06-17-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks fantastic mike, that does seem to be a great possibility I’ll look into his service see if anything interesting turns up.