Thread: FS: GRV 1892 Pattern Sword

FS: GRV 1892 Pattern Sword

£285

This is an interesting example in that the blade has an attractive etched design not found on others of the period. Perhaps this is because it was made by a silversmith, Boynton & Son of Clerkenwell, London, who operated under this name from 1894 to 1919. These trading dates, and the royal cypher of King George V being on the hilt and blade, mean that this sword is very likely to have seen service in the First World War (likely with an officer of the RAMC). This makes sense because, whereas the blade is rare and handsome, the hilt, which should be gold-plated brass, has a silvery metal visible underneath its golden covering. During both World Wars shortcuts in the manufacturing processes of weapons were naturally sought as raw materials were in short supply—these have become known as ‘wartime expediency’ weapons and I think this explains the contrast between the eye-catching blade and less elegant hilt.

The blade has some speckling and pitting, mostly towards the tip, and there is the tiniest of movements between the hilt and tang. Overall, though, it’s in good condition, a rarer pattern and an interesting sword of its time.

Postage to a UK address included in the price.

Over 18s only, please.

Please PM me for more pictures.

Name:  aQhXshCl.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  53.9 KB
    Name:  ohWF6I0l.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  26.1 KB

Offers welcome as it's only gathering dust here.

Now £245.