Thread: St John Taylor 11th Hussars, previously 1st Lifeguards. Presentation Sword.

St John Taylor 11th Hussars, previously 1st Lifeguards. Presentation Sword.

This light cavalry sword made by Wilkinsons with their proved disc but numbered and etched to Hawkes. A 35 1/2 inch long blade by 1 1/4 inch wide by 5/16 inch thick.
    Etching to within an inch of the tip.
    Capt. St. John S. Taylor who in 1865 took his commission with the 11th Hussars. The officers of the 1st Lifeguards made him a gift of a cavalry sword etched "Presented to St. John Taylor by the Officers of The 1st Life Guards on His Receiving His Commission in The 11th Hussars as a Token of Respect and Esteem and in Appreciation of His Services, March 1865". St.John Stewardson Taylor joined the 11th Hussars as a Cornet on the 20th December 1864 and was immediately appointed Adjutant.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Will,
    A very nice sword. Even more interesting is that he was commissioned from the ranks, quite rare for the mid Victorian soldier.

Fantastic to see the full blade etching. How unusual is that I wonder?

Proved disc is Wilkinson and etched Hawkes on the ricasso. The HHC was known to purchase from Hawkes.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi Will

Is it definite that your man served with the 1st Life Guards and not the Royal Horse Guards. The reason I ask is that I have a 1832 Officers sword of the RHG which has 11th Hussars stamped on the back of the blade. It has always puzzled me but I did read somewhere that RHG and 11th Hussars had some sort of affinity. Or could it be that the affinity was with all three regiments of the Household Cavalry?

This sword is with the 1st Lifeguards since he served with them. It's interesting that the 11th is marked on your sword on the spine? Possibly several switched regiments which was common with officers and not as common with NCO's as far as I know because most information available is for officers.

Will, that is a pretty blade. Not my area but still what a beautiful blade. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe