Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Lost sword

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    453

    Lost sword

    FedEx lost this sword in Memphis hub; looks like now they may have some problems with international shippings not only from China, but also from Ireland (and perhaps the rest of the world).
    If there is a choice - better to use other shipping companies.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North West US
    Posts
    1,242
    My heart breaks, what a beauty. I lost an Osborn eagle head saber with horn grips and slot hilt at the Minnesota distribution center for USPS. I called them quite a few times they said it went to holding because someone could not read label, well I can tell you my address and they said they can't find sword. You have my condolences. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    378
    Somewhere in the world there is an employee of a package delivery company, rubbing their hands together over a world class sword collection!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    1,467
    While laughing in a evil manner...

    Regarding the sword, I can can see it has (or... had) a grip in quite a typical Spanish fashion of the 18th century. Any Spanish connection for this smallsword?

    Hope it will surface again... somewhere.
    Juan
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,326
    I've used DHL many times with no losses. They will ship swords from the UK while UPS will not. UPS will take a sword for shipment then you find out they refuse to send (on their prohibited list)and it takes a couple weeks for the seller to get your sword back and reship using DHL.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    My heart breaks, what a beauty. I lost an Osborn eagle head saber with horn grips and slot hilt at the Minnesota distribution center for USPS. I called them quite a few times they said it went to holding because someone could not read label, well I can tell you my address and they said they can't find sword. You have my condolences. Eric
    Thanks Eric!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan J. Perez View Post
    While laughing in a evil manner...

    Regarding the sword, I can can see it has (or... had) a grip in quite a typical Spanish fashion of the 18th century. Any Spanish connection for this smallsword?

    Hope it will surface again... somewhere.
    Juan

    I think, this style of grips also can be seen on swords from Austria and Netherlands. What should not be surprising: all these countries were the parts of the same Habsburg empire. There must be some similarities in styles, even after separation of Austrian and Spanish branches.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    I've used DHL many times with no losses. They will ship swords from the UK while UPS will not. UPS will take a sword for shipment then you find out they refuse to send (on their prohibited list)and it takes a couple weeks for the seller to get your sword back and reship using DHL.
    DHL is owned by Deutsche Post. Ordnung. They are very good but may cost slightly more.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,326
    After saying DHL is good, they delivered my sword to Centreville Inverness UK, NOT Centreville Ontario Canada. It's signed for by someone, not my name at all.
    Hopefully its not sold and they can retrieve it. I've never had such an obvious screwup as this. Paid 134 GBP to have it shipped to Canada.
    Will keep you posted since it's the weekend and nothing can be done until Monday.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    After saying DHL is good, they delivered my sword to Centreville Inverness UK, NOT Centreville Ontario Canada. It's signed for by someone, not my name at all.
    Hopefully its not sold and they can retrieve it. I've never had such an obvious screwup as this. Paid 134 GBP to have it shipped to Canada.
    Will keep you posted since it's the weekend and nothing can be done until Monday.
    I guess the Germans get confused by Anglo-Saxon colonial intricacies!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus K View Post
    I guess the Germans get confused by Anglo-Saxon colonial intricacies!
    I received information that DHL X rayed the package and will not send swords of any kind now. What carrier will take them in the UK, UPS won't either, it's getting crazy.
    DHL online tracking misleads you considerably when it showed delivered and the address. DHL returned the package to the sender though it read sent to a Centreville in the UK and signed by a name not associated to my correspondence with the packer/shipper.
    Last edited by Will Mathieson; 06-29-2019 at 06:07 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    I received information that DHL X rayed the package and will not send swords of any kind now. What carrier will take them in the UK, UPS won't either, it's getting crazy.
    DHL online tracking misleads you considerably when it showed delivered and the address. DHL returned the package to the sender though it read sent to a Centreville in the UK and signed by a name not associated to my correspondence with the packer/shipper.
    That’s very worrying news that the carriers get deceptive and regulations get so stringent. I thought they might just have mixed up the two Centrevilles. I have used DHL to send documents directly to people in third world countries and never had any problem with them. Worked like the clock each time. I had two swords sent from the UK to me in Sweden in 2016 and 2017 with DHL and that worked fine. One of the auctioneers in the UK used Mailboxes etc to despatch one of the packages if that could be of any help.

    I noticed that at a recent auction in Stockholm the swords were kept behind the counter, and viewers had to ask staff to see them before bidding. I think this was done for ”safety” reasons.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,326
    Using the DHL tracking it appeared they mixed up Centrevilles but they had returned it to Mailboxes. I'm fortunate Canada has no restrictions on swords though it may get crazy with firearms to gain votes.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Using the DHL tracking it appeared they mixed up Centrevilles but they had returned it to Mailboxes. I'm fortunate Canada has no restrictions on swords though it may get crazy with firearms to gain votes.
    Hi Will,

    Awful news.
    When you say returned to 'Mailboxes' do you mean the courier company by that name (MBE)?
    If so then they are a failry small opperation and when the company I work for used to use them, you could actually call and speak to them (usually the same person).
    It's been a few years since I've dealt with them, but hopefully they will be understanding. They are a specialist courier and should be used to having this sort of thing happen.

    In any circumstance, sending anything potentially contentious in the post is a minefield now.
    The list of restrictions for most companies gets longer and longer every year.
    An antique sword can also fall foul of rules on antique items.

    I haven't posted a blade of any sort for years now, but I think Parcelforce are still usable for posting internationally from the UK.
    Having a look at their website they accept 'sharp objects' as long as: "These items may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they do not present a risk to employees, other packages or recipients." The exception would be items classed as 'weapons' in their list whhich seems to be any blade already illegal in the UK.
    However, they make no specific exclusion for antiques, but they do mention 'works of art': "Works of art cannot be exported to certain destinations on the globalpriority and globalvalue services, so please check our country directory before sending. Works of art are excluded from compensation for loss and damage with globalexpress although they can be sent using this service."

    As I'm sure you are aware, the sender should also address the parcel as the recipient country's carrier would want.

    Have a look at Parcelforce's website and their prohibited items list:
    https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and...d-restrictions

    If you do need the seller to ship again using a different courier, then it might be worthwhile for them to double check with parcelforce?
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 06-29-2019 at 10:25 AM.

  15. #15
    Ivan,

    All sympathies to you as well.
    A very interesting sword and I would like to discuss it in more detail when you hopefully receive it.
    The first thing I noticed was the 'Spanish' style hilt that Juan mentioned.
    But also the blade with the brass inlay. I would like to have compared it with one of mine.

    Good luck with the carrier.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,326
    I believe so Gene, Mailboxes in Inverness Scotland. Looking forward to having the sword shipped. It is DHL that would not ship however they did not know it was antique but that may have no bearing either. I've let them know about Parcelforce, hopefully they are willing to ship. Strange a sword is an obsolete weapon and in this case a dress sword. I can understand explosives and unknown projectiles that can contain explosive but a sword seems more a political attack from anti most anything we like.

  17. #17
    Hi Will,

    A lot of carriers have simply banned anything that they can think of which might cause them a problem.
    It's a sign of the times and companies don't want to be responsible for anything going wrong.
    When you ship via some parcelforce services you have to sign a printout at the counter to accept their terms.
    When you post any package or parcel in the UK via a post office, the counter staff actually ask what the contents are!

    The big companies want to ship lots of everyday items and don't care about the tiny amount of business they can add by shipping the 'other stuff'.
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 06-29-2019 at 11:29 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,326
    Seems I'll be looking more to the south to source swords, shipping is much less and no hassles. Not the same selection but some really good ones do come up and are not appreciated as much since like all of us usually prefer our own country or our Dominion swords. I believe Canada has dropped "Dominion" from description as have many other things unfortunately .

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,094
    Have you tried to ship by listing the contents as "old metalwork" or "old decorator item"?--both are honest descriptions and I have never had a shipment rejected. Avoid using the word "antique" as this might tempt a handler to peek inside and grab it.
    Last edited by T. Donoho; 06-29-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    Tom Donoho

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,326
    They X rayed it and it was described as Scottish regalia. I'm sure I'll get it but it does add another week of waiting.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    They X rayed it and it was described as Scottish regalia. I'm sure I'll get it but it does add another week of waiting.
    Too bad. Antique weapons are usually shipped without hassel--well, here within the USA, that is. Hope you have it soon.
    Tom Donoho

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,326
    I can get swords from the US without any problem and usually without those nasty customs fees.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    453
    My sympathies, Will. Hopefully you will finally get your sword, but looks like in our time of tariffs and border controls international postages became less and less reliable.

    I'm also waiting delivery by DHL from Hermann Historica; but this is regular German DHL, so in USA it will be handled by USPS. So far I haven't seen any problem with USPS.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    67
    For what it’s worth Will, I’ve purchased four swords from John Hart - and shipped to Canada - over the years (though it has been a while since the last one) and I believe he used Parcel Force for all of them with no problems.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,326
    Thanks Matthew, I did finally use Parcelforce and the sword is in Canada now. I won't know what to do if they too stop shipping swords.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •