Thread: Prussian Cavalry Test Saber---1845

Question Prussian Cavalry Test Saber---1845

Fellows: I wanted a US M 1845, but it seems, they were always mucked with or just overpriced!

I found, from person here, a Prussian copy of the Mle 1822 Cavalrie Legere Saber. These were tested by the Prussians, and although found acceptable, they adopted the Mod 1852 in its place.

Made by Schnitzler & Kirschbaum in Solingen, dated 1847, the royal cypher of Friedrich Wilhelm.

This model is not quite the same as the US ordered M 1840 sabers from the same firm. This one seems to be a very good copy of the French weapon, as made, without any of the minor changes the US required.

Rumor has it that S&K or the Prussians sold these to the US during the Civil War. What do you think??

Dale in AL
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Dale, I believe you are wrong on this one. The markings on this saber exactly match the markings on the Army's 1847 second S&K contract for Cavalry sabers. Check out John Thillmann's write up of these second contract sabers.

Trials Sabers, sold to the American Army..At least that is what the German Language boards say.

These are official Prussian property and acceptance marks, so they had to be State owned items once.

Dale

According to Thillmann, the agreement reached with the Prussians called for the swords sold to the Americans to be inspected IAW Prussian Army procedures, and thus the Prussian inspector marks. The same applied to the original 1840 S&K contract swords which also have Prussian inspectors' marks. I believe the American purchasing agents thought they were contracting with S&K for new swords. Your comments seem to suggest what we got were surplus Prussian Army swords. Were we Had?

Richard; If intended for export, the weapons would not have State Property Markings. The Letter and Crown mark is an acceptance mark, not a property or ownership mark. Weapons that were crown property, had a Crown/Cypher/Date on the blade. I think the Prussians and S&K killed two birds with one stone, and shipped the test sabers, thus fulfilling the US requirements and getting rid of the cavalry board test weapons. According to the German Language Boards, these were tested and found acceptable, but the Mod 1852 was adopted for Prussian Cavalry use.

Dale