Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian dragoon sabre

Here is an example of stamps.
    Also on all the brass parts of the handle and the scabbard were stamps of military acceptance in the form of the letters "Ш" or "А" under the crown of the head, as well as on the handle of the handle was stamped with the name of the factory.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Vladimir Sukhomlinov; 07-17-2019 at 05:37 AM.

Blades of officer sabers could have various marks. including the German masters, because they could be ordered individually.

Well, in general, here is a brief overview - I don’t know if it will be interesting to the forum participants.

I apologize to the author of the topic that got into the discussion of his subject, but I want to show the dragoon soldier's saber (shashka) from my collection. It is not in very good condition. Made in 1917.
    I do not collect the saber of the Russian Empire, because it is very expensive, as the prices of such items are very high. But I bought this sword in memory of my grandfather, a participant in the First World War. He was a non-commissioned officer of the dragoon regiments.
    In the photo he in 1916.
    Once again I apologize to the author of the topic.

Thanks a lot for your messages, Vladimir, they are very informative!
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Vladimir: All I say is: Balshoye Spasiba!! Very good information!

Dale

Than you Vladimir, an excellent and informative series of posts.

I also wanted to add briefly about the differences between the saber and the shashka:

Saber is a slashing-cutting bladed edged weapon.

The blade of the saber, as a rule, single-edged (in some cases with a one-and-a-half sharpening), has a characteristic bend in the direction of the butt. The average length of the blade was 80-110 cm. The sabers in various modifications were widespread in Eastern Europe and Asia from the 9th to the 20th centuries as the main cold weapons of cavalry and partly of infantry. In Western Europe, the saber was spread quite late, in the XIV-XIX centuries. Due to a number of its combat qualities and ease of use, the saber partially or completely ousted swords and other types of bladed knives in many European countries.
    The belt rings were on the concave side of the scabbard.

Here is a way to wear a sword - you all know it.

A shashka is a long-slashing slashing-piercing cold weapon.

Single-edged blade, slightly curved, double-edged at the combat end, less than one meter long (in Russia, various models of drafts with a blade length from 81 to 88 cm stood, the original Circassian were even lighter and shorter). Efes usually consists only of a handle with a curved, usually forking head, without a cross (guard), which is a characteristic feature of this type of weapon. The sheath is wooden, covered with leather, with rings for the sword belt on the curved side. There are two types of checkers: checkers with a handle that looks like saber, but they are not (dragoon type), and more common checkers without a handle (Caucasian and Asian types).

Here is a way to wear a shashka with a shoulder belt.

And the way of wearing saber on the belt.

Thank you Vladimir. No apology is needed. Most informative and one of the best replies I have ever received in this forum
    Cully

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12